Any one have this pet yard??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishellyshel

Chin Slave
Does anyone have this brand pet yard. it is a pet yard XT by north states.
It cost about $90.
I need something sturdy & tall, this one is 26inches high. I wont be leaving the room while they are in there but I may have my back turned while cage cleaning and I just want to make sure they cant escape

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754775#prodTab1

i used the search function but every one calls it something different that i couldnt find anything.

I haven't used that exact playpen, but I've tried this one (which is 24" high) and my chin got out of it with no problem. He can jump right to the top and jump out, or he can scale up the wall easily. I doubt the extra 2" on the model you posted would be much of a challenge! :)

Michelle, I have that exact pen for our pug, only we bought 2 of them to connect and make a larger pen about 3 years ago. When I had my old chin Whiskers, we tried to use it for his playtime area but he just flew out of there. For $90 I'd suggest you get the ware playpen with the zip top like I have now for the chins.

Perhaps you should opt for one with a lid? Otherwise, I would suggest getting like 4" cardboard panels and taping them together on one side and letting the cardboard "pen" sit on the inside of the current fence you have. They can't climb up the cardboard and it's too tall to jump over. I got the idea from (I believe) Puddles&Chub.

I have something similar and my biggest problem is that Sesame likes to climb up the fence like a ninja on a mission. She can't jump over the fence from the ground, but she just loves climbing the fence.

Yup, that's the one! Although, I bought mine over 3 years ago I believe a few people here have purchased it through ebay I think for around $70!

Yeah, they can just hurdle the sides with little to no problems. I had a similar one and quickly saw that unless you're watching them at all times, they'll escape in an eyeblink.

Sandi - does that one work well for the chins? Seems like it would be a little small for them to really run around, but it's hard to picture how big it actually is. I was also reading the reviews - any trouble with them escaping out the bottom with only the velcro attachment points?

I have a WARE pop up playpen, not that exact one but one similar. I haven't had a problem with them escaping out the bottom... so far. I have had a problem with them chewing on the fabric trim that borders the inside. Its not huge, but big enough to fit a hidey house, dust bath and other play items, and both chins love to run laps around the edge. I have to say this is one of the best investments EVER for the chins!

I have used this playpen for the chins for over a year. My chins really don't nibble on the canvas or mesh, they're too busy messing with each other and all of the toys inside! I've never had one escape from the bottom or top. I've put the bottom piece in the wash at least a dozen times and the playpen still looks great to this day :D!

DSC00905.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

hmmm.... these play pens seem like a good idea when traveling back home for the holidays. Does it fold up well?

I have one - Chinzilla jumped out of it on the third play session. I put a fitted sheet over the top - worked well until he squeezed out from between two of the panels. Oh well, back to the drawing board!! He does have room to run around in it though.

I have gone through 3 playpens so far :hair: and I have found different things work better for different chins. I first used the cardboard playpen, Mitzie would chew the tape, then I got the Ware... again Mitzie being my naughty chin started chewing the velcro, she even pulled one piece competely off. Now I have the Marshall playpen, this works well for Maddie and Mitzie (expect when Mitzie decides to chew the carpet) but Lizzie will jump out of it after awhile. I still have the cardboard, and that works well for Lizzie.

Such brats!! ;)

hahah that picture of the chin scaling the sides made me laugh

I have used this playpen for the chins for over a year. My chins really don't nibble on the canvas or mesh, they're too busy messing with each other and all of the toys inside! I've never had one escape from the bottom or top. I've put the bottom piece in the wash at least a dozen times and the playpen still looks great to this day :D!

DSC00905.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

Is this the Ware Pop Up Play Pen? If not, What is it and where did you find it?

That is the Ware pop up play pen. The larger size.

I want one sooooo bad, but before I get one, How in the world do you stabilize it before "Surfer Dude (or Dudette)" there takes to the waves? It would have to be really strong, the pictures that Sandi posted look like it really takes a beating! I have one of the plastic ones and the suggestion of putting something over the top worked really well, but the gaps in between the panels are too easy for "Pancakeasaurus" to get through. So, if you're not inside it with him, you've got the top covered,and towels or something like that stuffed into the gaps - just doesn't seem quite good enough for him to me. It is not also not large enough to suite me, I like giving him room to run. We used to chinproof the living room and let him have it at playtime, but all he wanted to do was crawl under his cage, or stay behind the sofa. It seemed to me like he was a little intimidated by all of the open space - he may be more comfortable with a little bit of a boundary. He has a tube and some other toys when in his current playpen, but doesn't spend much time inside the tube, so it just seems like a comfort zone thing. Plus, I want a bigger play pen for him (ok,ok - us!). I apologize about the ramble, but I'm really excited about the prospect of having a better playpen that's easier to "put together" and looks for all the world like it is MUCH safer!! :bliss:

The playpen is pretty sturdy as it's made for small dogs but I wouldn't use it for our pug because he could knock it over. I just pop it open and velcro the bottom to it and zipper on the top, it takes just a few seconds and that's it. The chins don't weigh much and they barely touch the playpen as they're fly surfing it's walls. I got mine at Petco a few years ago but I believe that you can buy them from amazon or ebay as well.

Latest posts

Back