any kind of rose buds?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinny

I have seen rose buds for sale on here. I was wondering if I have a rose bush can I give them to her? The ones for sale look like they are dried. Would I need to do this to them and is there anything else that is done to make them suitable for a chinchilla?

I am aware that it can't have any bug sprays or such on the bush.

You'll have to dry it. The bush can't be sprayed at all, even though you didn't spray it this year but have done it in other years it could be in the roots over winter (that's my understanding).

Yes, they need to be dried. I just purchase mine as it's a whole lot easier. Same with the rose hips but you have to leave the bud or flower on the stem - don't dead head and allow the rose hip to develop. Once it's nice and orange color then clip them off and dry them as well. Be careful because both mold really easily if not kept in a dry, warm place.

Ronda

I was thinking about doing the same thing - drying my own but it seems to be such a long process it might just be easier to purchase them! My chins love both rose hips and rose buds

I get mine for $4.00 from Planet Organic. Their the little pink buds and I probably get 150 buds per bag so they last quite a long time. Magyk loves them!

Are dried (organic) petals safe? I haven't given them any, I'm just trying to find some new treats.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back