Any advice?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

Illini_Girl

Hello I was wondering if any one could give me any type of advice. I have tried basicly everything. I have a puppy I've had him for bout a month now he was born in Oct. I jus can NOT seem to get him potty trained. He goes out side every 30-45 mins and is out there for over 30 mins. When he goes
out he will go and gets rewarded for it..THEN as soon as he comes in he runs down my hall way n goes on the floor!! He can go #1 and #2 outside n still somehow has enough left to go in the house. After he goes outside I keep him out there a little longer just to make sure he is done! My house * no one else can* but it smells soo bad to me cuz he wont stop its my hall way n my daughters room so I keep my daughters bedroom door shut then I feel bad as she is 3 n can't go play with her toys. I'm at lost here. I do not believe in useing puppy pee pads. Please i'm getting desperate and I know with him being so young potty training will take a while its not something that will take 1 day I do know that BUT its been a month n hes making NO process constantly in the house its even getting my other dog that is potty trained to go in the house at times.

Have you had your pup tested to make sure it doesn't have a Urinary Infection?

I think with puppies, you just have to be patient, which is so hard when it comes to urinating in the house. Make sure puppy gets a lot of attention outside when he does his duty, a lot of attention. When he has an accident indoors, be low key but let him know that it is not ok to pee in the house. Don't give him much attention because some puppies will have accidents just for the attention, whether negative or positive. So make outside time really fun, and make sure puppy doesn't get too excited indoors, because some puppies can have accidents simply because they are overexcited.

Yes he is as healthy as they come.
Did they run a full urinalysis? That is not usually something they do for a general health check is why I ask. I had a pup that I was having a hard time house breaking years ago. Turns out he had an infection, and once treated, was much easier to housebreak! :winkers:

Maybe try crating or confining? We had to do that with Mom's dog, and slowly let her have more space.

As far as house breaking, it can take some dogs longer than others, and at a month, you shouldn't be worried about him not being trained yet if he's otherwise healthy. I know Lila took longer than a month. But she would go when I wasn't watching, not just after I took her outside.

How exciting are you making it for him to go potty outside? You need to praise him so happily that you'll feel like a dork and give a treat if you like to give treats. You have to make him want to go outside to get his reward.

Is he peeing immediately after going out, or are you letting him run around with no one watching and then he'll go? Because if it's that you let him run around after going and he still goes inside, then he should be with you at all times or crated.

If he's going in the same place, he's got the scent down and figures it's O.K.! If you use a doggy deoderizer that kills the scent, it should discorage him. There's also a product that keeps them away from a spot, but I never used [or smelled] it, so that one's up to you!

What breed of dog? Smaller dogs, in general, are more difficult to housebreak. Also sound hounds (like bassets and bloodhounds) too we have found.

You must leash that puppy to you or an area near you wheever he is to roam the house. He can not be trusted not to go potty so you must watch him for any possible signs he has to go (sniffing, circling, etc.). If you can not than he gets put in a crate or outside so accidents can't happen.

Also the carpet where he goes must be cleaned with a substance like Nature's Miracle. Just regular soap isn't going to work. Dogs can still pick up the scent so you have to use something made to remove urine.

I hope this helps and just remember they do eventually housebreak.

Yea my vet did all the test for free for me. He's a lab mix. When he goes outside he gets praised n i make it a HUGE deal out of it n give him a treat right then and there I've had to let my 2 dogs out at 2 different times cuz Brody wont go if Vader is outside with him he wants to jump n play. When we are in bed or not home he goes in a kennel BUT still goes in the kennel the kennel is big enough for him to stand turn around. I use to have a dog that was hard to potty train but he finally stopped goin in the house but its like no matter what i do he's gotta go. The people who rented this house b4 had a house FULL of dogs and my daughters room was actually the breeding grounds and the kennel which he is fixed so i dont see why he'd mark his territory ya know.I will go pick up some things that will bring the order out.

Maybe he smells pee in the house from the previous owners and either thinks it's ok to go pee in the house or is marking his territory. Sounds like the house needs to be nuked - time to get rid of previous dog smells.

We have a Lab X at home too... it took us nearly 8 MONTHS to get her fully trained. It takes time - you just have to be more stubborn than the dog.

Latest posts

Back