Any advice on a new career?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchillaFrenzy

I am a CNA right now. And I absolutely hate it. I am sick of it. My back is killing me after work and I have only been doing it a year. My origional plan was to stick with nursing. But getting a year into classes and a year into CNA work...well. Its not for me. I just can't do it.

So I was looking into Medical Assistant and it seems like it might be ok to me. Like something I might actually like. So I am taking some summer classes and three in fall to see if its a god fit but....

I just don't know if its even worth changing from a CNA to a MA. See the pay...it almost isn't worth it to me. Its only a dollar more than I get paid now. And I have a year of school to pay for if I do it. Maybe in the long run it will be worth it, with sa program I am not sold on, but I don't know.

So I was looking at Central Service Tech. I would only need one class and I could do it next semester I suppose.And it is $3.50 more an hour.
Well...I might end up doing that anyway and just thinking later but I wanted some advice. My family just tells me to do what makes me happy. And I just want something I don't have to work night. Possibly not even weekends either. I am trying to think about the future. My fiance has a normal job. He works during the week and is home by 3 and I want to have something sinular eventually. And when we decide to have kids I want to do the same thing as him so we can actually see eachother...

I thought about Dental Hygienist but that too is...hmm. Just "ok maybe I can do that".

Well here are the classes my school offer i suppose I could always change schools I suppose. I know I wanna do something in healthcare. I loved volunteering at the hospitals when I was younger. I just don't wanna be a Certified Butt Wiper anymore. LoL.

http://wctc.edu/programs_&_courses/nursing_&_allied_health/index.php

Last edited:
Laura,
How about phlebotomy? When I worked as a receptionist in OB-Gyn my game plan was always to go to school for it, but then the bank lured me back and before you know it I'm working at the crappy bank! Luckily I'm in I/T now and love it, but I still think I would enjoy the phlebotomy stuff, or even radiology. If you want to stay in the medical field those would be 2 recommendations, although I know nothing of the pay and how long for school.
I do know I would never be a dental hygienist as not everyone is big on oral hygiene!

Maybe try surgical tech, radiology. Phlebotomist only make just a few dollars more than CNA's where im from. When i first started nursing school and became a CNA i was in the same position you were. Is this really for me? I was currently then working at a nursing home and hated it. So i switched to be a cna at a hospital. Trust me it was much better!! So i decided to stick it out with nursing and i am glad i did. Even though some days i hate it but you can work anywhere. You dont just have to work in a hospital or nursing home. There are tons of different jobs out there for nurses and they pay is pretty good. I hated school but it was over with in a short period of time! I would say stick it out, it does get better!!

I thought about phelbotomy, too, but...its. I don't know. LoL. I guess I don't really have anything againist it either. I don't know. I'll have to add that one into the running too. I just can't see it being a life long thing...you know? That is my issue. Most of it I want to do now but I don't wanna change my mind again like I have...twice now!

I have worked at both a nursing home and hospital. And I find both to be the same. I just I can't stand it.

How about Physical Therapy Assistant?

My daughter is a Message Therapist, but that, too, is pretty hard work.

How about a unit clerk at a local hospital?

Or go to school to be an EMT? We hire them for our emergency room to assist the doctor and nurses.

Keep in mind there are a zillion things you could do with a nursing degree. My husband is a nurse, and he has a firm "no poop" rule about nursing jobs. His last job was an allergy nurse - a normal 9-5 job with no poop and not 24/7 on your feet. He loved it, but the clinic was cutting benefits so he switched to being an IV nurse. He really likes that, and it's poop free too :) He works 4 days a week 8a-530p. There are also research nurse jobs (I'd kill to do that!) which are easier more office-like jobs.

Don't give up! You just have to find the right niche for yourself.

From someone who has been in school far too long, don't go to school for something that is "OK". If you don't know what you want to do then wait until you find out or just take a class here and there while you work; don't dedicate yourself to a program unless it is something you love. I do agree you should explore other nursing opportunities though if ou think it miht just be the environment you work in that you don't like.

Back