antlers as a calcium source

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetandhyper

I was told a chinchilla should have lava chew blocks for teeth and extra calcium. No where aeound me has any anymore. The pet store suggested antlers as they are all natural and say on the package for sensitive diets Nd helps with their teeth. I was wondering if anyone has ever used them before.

I've never personally used them but I've heard of some people giving them to their chins.

However, as far as needing extra calcium, as long as you chin is only quality food, hay, and water I don't see the need.
You can also watch your chins teeth color as a way to tell if they need more calcium. White teeth are bad. Teeth usually range from a light orange to a dark orange.

Some used cuttle bone (found in the bird section) for added calcium, if your chin needs it and will chew it. Mine won't touch them.

I bought an antler for my new Chin and she does not chew on it so far at all. She moves it around, but she does that to everything in her cage!

I've avoided antler purely because I was worried about it splintering or something. I would agree with the alfalfa hay suggestions, if your chin really NEEDS the extra calcium. Hay is good for teeth just loose, but if you want more of a 'chew block' you could also use alfalfa hay cubes. If your chin's eating a proper diet with an appropriate calcium content, unless he's showing signs of not getting enough you probably don't need to worry about trying to supplement. Too little calcium is bad, but too much isn't good either. As with all things, there is an appropriate balance to be struck.

Back