Antibitotic Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubi32

I have Mom and daughter living in the same cage and after coming home from dinner tonight I notice that the daughters toe has gotten bit in half, she seems fine and is still putting pressure on it but I think I see the bone? Mom has a constant eye infection and her vet prescribed her to take .35 milliliters of Sulfamethoxazole twice a day. Can/should I give some antiobiotic to the daughter to prevent/stop an infection from occuring? If so how much and for how long? I'm going to put Blue Kote on it right now but I wanted to give her some antiobiotics before I go to bed.

I also just found some Metacam that was prescribed when Mom hurt her toe. It was prescribed .07 ml a day, should I give that too?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
how old is the kit?

most likely no on the metacam for the baby. i know i would not give it to her. if she is putting weight on it as well there is no need

im very iffy on giving the antibiotic to the baby at this point i have used the Sulfa on kits before without a problem but normally for a toe i just put blue kote on it and keep a close eye on it

rascal (the baby) is over a year but i dont think the antibiotic is really necessary. clean it up and see if it still bothers her over the next day or so. if so give dr goode a quick call and see what she thinks.

Janice (Dr. Goode) is pretty nice about saving a person who knows chins a vet visit. She will probably tell you what to look for and if and when antibiotics and pain killers are needed what the dose should be Give her a call or email her at [email protected]

I have had a couple of nipped toes, never used a antibiotic and only used metecam I had on hand.

Latest posts

Back