antibiotics/probiotics

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorangers0525

My chinchilla, Shelby, was recently in the vet with a GI tract problem. Her poop was really small, she wasn't eating and she was very lethargic. 5 days at the vet (and a very expensive bill, that according to most people was more than a rip-off) and she's back to normal, if not better. The vet gave me some anti-biotics/probiotics to give her this week, but Shelby doesn't just refuse them, she's TERRIFIED by them. I was able to give her one does via cheerio, but she caught on and now she's afraid of cheerios lol. Is there any reason for me to be concerned? She's eating a ton of hay/pellets, her stool is back to normal, she's as active as ever and she seems very happy. I don't want to stress her out too much by trying to give her these things. They also gave me critical care, but idt it's really going to be necessary as of now. I ordered some gi tract support (along with some fleece items) from quality mutations chinchillas, to hopefully prevent this situation form happening again.

Hi; sorry about your recent vet bill. I do know how that feels -- just paid my first.

As for the antibiotics, was she already on them previously?

This is for any antibiotics, human or chin -- you should always finish a treatment. If you start but dont finish, you run the risk of just breeding super-bacteria because some will have survived (the strong ones).

I contradict myself bc I have questioned the vet also, but if they prescribed these things I doubt it was reasonless. She must not be done with treatment.

When Maggie had to take medicine I put it in a syringe and opened a raisin and rubbed the inside of the raisin on the tip of the syringe then when I put it near her she would smell the raisin smell and there would be a small amount if raisin goo(lol) on it so she would lick it and I would squirt the medicine in as she was licking it.

Back