Antagonistic Behavior and Severe Attachment

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzshabammAndRio

Hello all, I need advice, help, or anything you can give me really.

Rio is about two years old now and I have had this problem since I rescued him when he was about 8 months old. He is very antagonistic to anyone and anything other than me. He is extremely attached to me and hates anything and everyone that gets near me or him. It took him almost an entire year to get used to my fiance. When I had my other much older male chinchilla housed in the same room (on opposite ends of the room), Rio would do just about anything for attention, especially if someone was near Clyde's cage. He would bark, kick over his food dish, rip up his fleece bedding, knock over his wheel, and even bite. I thought Clyde was the problem, but he definitely wasn't. Rio doesn't seem to mind the cat as much as Clyde, but he seems to instigate and antagonize the cat, so now I have to keep the cat out of the room that Rio is in so that nothing happens between the two of them. My biggest concern is how lonely he gets when I leave the room for any period of time, even if its just for five minutes. He has been like this since I got him, I don't know if he was neglected or what before I got him, but he almost seems depressed when he is left alone in the room for any period of time. He wrecks the whole cage with in minutes and waits anxiously at the side of the cage until me or my fiance return to the room. We let him roam around the room under our supervision and give him plenty of attention and affection. I would love to get him a companion, but I'm so afraid of him rejecting her or worse. I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me, he's my best friend and I just want him to be happy.

Thank you much!
Jaz

Latest posts

Back