Another question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cphilippou

Hey everybody sorry for the questions but i am just trying to be the best new owner possible!! Currently a hop spot corner ledge, lava ledges, and fleece liner covers and toys will be here monday, and as of right now i am just making sure he is good and everything which is working out... i just have a quick question!

I leave a hay ball in there to prevent a ton of mess, and so he can kinda play and take the hay when he wants, also to prevent him peeing in the hay and have him eat it.. i leave the ball in there 24/7... i cleaned the cage at 10pm and woke up at 5am to find the cage COMPLETELY covered in feces... i understand he is a small animal and they tend to poo a lot, but is this normal?! should i not leave the ball of hay in there 24/7??

Thanks! :wink2:

It is completely normal for there to be poop anywhere. If there wasn't, then you would have something to worry about. I doubt the hay ball had anything to do with it.

i'd take out the hay ball. you can use a terra cotta pot to put hay in.
and hay should be given everyday, pretty much all day.
chins poo it's what they do.

Last edited:
keep in mind, chins are generally at most active overnight (it is chin party time!) - so, more eating and subsequent pooing will occur then - I have found that I can clean the cage in the morning and in late afternoon/ evening it is still not bad at all... OR I can clean the cage at night and in the morning, it looks like they shot up the place with a poo machine gun...

from what I understand, you want to have hay available 24/7 - though I have heard some concerns expressed about the hay ball style feeders posing a potential hazard... just a heads up

thanks guys!!! this is what I have... it is attached to the side of the cage, so i dont really see it posing any threats
pPETS-3761499t400.jpg

I believe hazard has to do with them potentially getting a foot/ paw stuck between wires and ball turning on them...

those hay ball/wheel things are dangerous, for the reason dcfluegel pointed out. much better to have a container for hay - a coffee mug works well, and you can wire the handle to the cage bars to keep them from tipping it over.

I dont think those are safe. I never used one, but i can see why people would want hay not to be scattered all over the place. but depends on if they chew. my chinnies chew on almost everything. So i leave it out in a pan type thing. Altho it scatters, I realize its what chins do. lol i dont want them to go hungry so free feed. My mom was like their fat! lol

those are not safe..
1)chins can get tehir feet and legs cought in them and brocken
2) chins chew plastic amd they can't digest it so it can lead to a whole host of problems

We've all put soem stuff in cages that we thought was OK and even good, and later learned it was a dangerous.

Chins need hay 24/7 and no matter what you try tey will make a mess of it. Until you find what works for your chins just toss some in the cage and deal with a bit of mess. Terracotta post work for some - wodden "mangers" work for others.

Chins will poo - it will get all over the place - just wait until they toss poo at you...

So as I remember eing a "new" chin Mom and I look at he hay all I'm thinking it's great now way it could harm my chins...

...but years later and knowing a lot more, I'm still not sure how my boys Bugs broke a finger 6 weeks back. All I know is that $500 in vet ad x-ray bills I'm happy he's OK and doing really well.

Chins a are CRAZY and they do crazy things and get hurt. If someone here says they know a chin who was crazy and got hurt on/with something... turst that your chin is just as crazy and will try the same thing. they do crazy stuff all the time - it's why we love them so much.

Back