Another injured chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

I am shocked the vet would not give an animal with such a severe injury pain meds. The metacam would have helped with inflamation also and she would have had a higher chance of continuing to eat.

Just so people know, I had a chin have her arm amputated and she healed very quickly and still lives a normal life many years later, so it can be done with a qualified vet.

I am shocked the vet would not give an animal with such a severe injury pain meds. The metacam would have helped with inflamation also and she would have had a higher chance of continuing to eat.

As a general comment (& certainly not defending the lack of analgesia in the OP's sad story) some vets will not use NSAIDs with animals in shock due to the increased risks of gastric ulceration & renal toxicity.
Shocked chins are often given opioid drugs instead.

*edit* Shoot! I didn't realize there was more to the post.
Note to self: read to the end replying.

Last edited:
I am also disappointed in the vet and have already contacted another vet - not nearly as close, but I think its better to have a longer drive for appropriate care. Izzy deserved much better. When I came home yesterday to take her to the new vet for the second opinion, she was already on the verge and needed mercy. We (my fiance and I) took her in and said our goodbyes. She - for the first time ever, she wasn't much for picking up - allowed me to hold and coddle her and bury my face in her fur and cry. I apologized for allowing her to ever meet such a fate. My fiance hugged and petted her and she gave him what we deem "the Izzy" ... the shove away with the paws when trying to scritch her behind the ears. She always hated that. We buried her under the big maple tree in the back yard wrapped in her favorite fleece. RIP my sweet chinchilla.

Shocked chins are often given opioid drugs instead.

OK, but he should have given this chin some kind of pain meds. It was a very poor and unprofessional choice on his part the way he handled the situation.

I am really sorry you and Izzy had to have this happen, but it is good that you are going to a new vet for the future.

I am so sorry to hear that Izzy passed. You did everything you could for her. Goodnight, sweet chin.

OK, but he should have given this chin some kind of pain meds. It was a very poor and unprofessional choice on his part the way he handled the situation.
Andrea, please read again what I put - I am not defending the vet.
As a general comment (& certainly not defending the lack of analgesia in the OP's sad story) ..............

There is no justification for a veterinary professional failing to provide appropriate pain medication to an injured animal - I was simply explaining why (some) vets do not give Metacam to shocked chinchillas.

Yes Claire I know that. I was just making an additional comment. Didn't mean for it to seem like I was criticizing you :))

This is obviously a late reply, but my chin Leonard had the EXACT same thing happen to him last night. Poor guy had a degloving injury on his from leg because my sister's cat got to him from under the door. I'm really worried about Leonard. I already took him to a vet and they stitched him up, but he is chewing on the stitches. I am horrified that Leonard won't make it. Is there any advice that you learned from what happened to Izzy?

Latest posts

Back