Another chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikiH

My partner and I have started thinking about getting our baby a little companion, now that we're in the house less during the day (I think it'd be nice for him to have someone to snuggle up to).

I know there's the possibility the two may not get on, and I'd have to keep them seperate. I'd just like to know if anybody knows any characteristics in chins which makes them more/less likely to get on with another chin? I have no idea if my chin has ever had a cage mate, he was on his own when we bought him but the petshop we got him from usually keeps them in pairs.

We want to go to a breeder so we can ask about the personality of the chin we'd get, it's more important to us than the look of the chin. Should we go for a chin with a similar personality to our little guy? (He's very playful and loves to chew and climb)

Any web links or directions to another thread would be great, we want as much information as possible. Obviously we want the two to get on, then we get the advantages of them being less lonely etc, I want to make everything perfect so they have the best chance of getting along.

Thanks guys!

The only way to know if they get along is to try it. I wish there was a easier way to do it. As long as you are ready for a second cage then I say go for it.

What are the pros/cons of having another chin? Are there more pros? It seems like there are but I'm not sure!

Pros
-your chin will be happy(if they get along)
-to me, the more the merrier
-it's fun watching them interact
-Main thing that should take up all of the list, you chin, will be so happy

Cons
-twice the supplies
-twice the mess
-May not get along
That's about it.

Update: I've found a breeder with a chin that sounds perfect, has been reared better than mine (Dworkin came from a big petshop, so not much interaction from birth, poor thing!) so he's better to handle and hopefully we can bring him home soon!

Will definitely post pics, anybody got a good hint as to how to introduce the two?

I'm pretty set on getting another one, I want my little man to be happy and not lonely!

Latest posts

Back