Another bonding question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbringas

I know a million and one people ask about bonding techniques but I'm not so much asking about the technique as so the actual chin I should get.
I have a one year old female chin. She's probably the best chin I could have ever hoped for.
-Anyways, I want her to have a friend. Would it be easier to get a younger chinchilla or an older one? in your expierence.
-Also, the breeder I bought her from ,still has the male she was caged with, so, almost exactly the same age. I feel bad hes still there but also dont want chinny babies haha.(neutering is a possibility)
-I have plenty of time for her and dont know if "I" want another chin or if she "needs"another chin. but I would love her to have a friend. I can more than provide the love :heart3:
Please let me know your opinions :thumbsup:
Thank you everyone.
P.S. I already have two cages. One is empty and waiting.

It would be best to get a younger chin. She doesn't need a friend. Some chins like being alone and get all the attention. Some like friends.
It's possible that the male and her will not get along if they have been separated for a long time. Some chins won't accept a cage mate that has only been gone for 24 hours. It's all about the smell.
If your not wanting to breed then in my opinion your better off going with a young female.
Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for your reply.. I'm still on the fence about getting her a friend. I think she gets plenty of love and I don't want to share that with another chin haha. So I may stick to one. If I decide in the future at least I know :) thank you again.

I would get a young chin if you want to try to bond them. Be prepared to keep them seperated if they do not end up getting along.

I know this is a strrrreeeeeettttch.... But would it be possible to take a chin to meet another baby chinchilla? Possibly do the smush/car ride method? Don't yell at me. I know it's a stretch. Just want to know the pros and cons of that scenario. Just curious. Let me state I DO NOT PLAN ON DOING THAT... Just want to know if anyone has.... Or if that's an absolute NoNo!

I know this is a strrrreeeeeettttch.... But would it be possible to take a chin to meet another baby chinchilla? Possibly do the smush/car ride method? Don't yell at me. I know it's a stretch. Just want to know the pros and cons of that scenario. Just curious. Let me state I DO NOT PLAN ON DOING THAT... Just want to know if anyone has.... Or if that's an absolute NoNo!

No. You always want to quarantine animals. If the new comer is stressed, sick, etc. it can pass along illness to your chin. Any reputable breeder/rescue would not allow someone to bring in their own pet to meet other chins.

Health issues aside, they may not react the same in the environment they meet in vs. the environment one chin is used to. Once the previous chin is returned to it's home territory, it may act completely different and act territorial/aggressive to the new comer.

Okay I figured it wasn't a great idea. I just think I'm too nervous to get another chin :/

I'm so glad you posted this! I've been back and forth (and back and forth another million times) about whether or not I should get a "sister" for my female chin. She's a single chinchilla right now and I give her plenty of love but I'm always wondering whether I'm being selfish not having a friend for her to hang out with. I just wish there was a way to know who she would get along with and wouldn't, that would ease some anxiety. But it's helpful to know that it'd be best to get a younger chinchilla! So thanks for posting :)

If you want another chin get one and do the introduction right. Most likely it will work. I did it with mine and it worked out awesome. I did not push my chins to be friends. They decided it on their own time. :D

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I'm so glad you posted this! I've been back and forth (and back and forth another million times) about whether or not I should get a "sister" for my female chin. She's a single chinchilla right now and I give her plenty of love but I'm always wondering whether I'm being selfish not having a friend for her to hang out with. I just wish there was a way to know who she would get along with and wouldn't, that would ease some anxiety. But it's helpful to know that it'd be best to get a younger chinchilla! So thanks for posting :)

Mikaela, you're welcome, I think I'm going to wait. if you decide to do it post again on this I would love to have an update of the method and outcome!

Okay so I'm the debate (argument) with my boyfriend, he swears that chinchillas become less attached and more aggressive towards their owners when a second one is introduced... Can't two just love me a whole lot and I give them equal attention? Or is he actually right, and that common?

When I introduce my chin to a new chin she didn't change. Her personality remained the same with me. She only throw a fit toward the new chin. But that was female to female. Not introducing the opposite sex.

Latest posts

Back