Anita is expecting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viciousalice

Well, we (my room mate and I) got Anita our extra dark ebony in October last year from a lady who was getting rid of her and her male cage mate She said that the two hadn't produced for her so she thought one or the other was sterile. Anita was always a big beautiful girl but in the passed 2 or 3 weeks she's gotten very round lol. She lets us feel around (VERY gently) on her belly and we can feel the kits moving in side her. We are more than excited for her and will keep everyone posted when they arrive (should be any day now)
Her "mate" was a Dark Tan boy, Looked exactly like our Nathaniel. We're hoping for at least 1 extra dark tan (chin cross calculator calls them chocolate) but if there is one we will probably be keeping him/her.

We have homes lined up for at least 1 baby when the time comes probably mid march or so. We will give them at least 10 weeks with mom then another 2 on their own to make sure they are eating well and all that.

I just hope we've done enough research for this, and I hope I can come to you guys for any help I may need.

Recommended weaning age is 6-8 weeks (depending on weight) due to the possibility of males impregnating the mom. Most people wean around 6wks if the kits weigh 200g, and if not, leave them til 8.

wow I didn't know the males could breed so early, well we will probably check at 6 and separate by 8 weeks, Thanks!

Anita and Nathaniel?? From the Anita Blake novels??? Now why didn't I think of that!!

I'm so very excited for you! I can't wait to see them :D

Anita and Nathaniel?? From the Anita Blake novels??? Now why didn't I think of that!!

I'm so very excited for you! I can't wait to see them :D

yeah all of the chinchillas are named after major and minor characters in that series :D

Anita Nathaniel Reese and Nadine LOL

yeah all of the chinchillas are named after major and minor characters in that series :D

Anita Nathaniel Reese and Nadine LOL

hahah thats awesome! seriously why didn't I think of that...Quill would be a perfect Micah :p oh well

Back