Angel the demon and Demon the angel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damanta

I'm new to the forum, and thought I'd introduce my chinnies.
Angel is 2 1/2 years old. I've had her since she was 12 weeks. As a baby, she was a very sweet, mellow chin who loves 'scritchies" and snuggles. As she aged, however, she became a little bit of a brat. After she hit a year, I put her in with Lucifer(rip). She then became a huge brat. She would throw food, bedding, and poo out of the cage whenever Lucifer would be out and on my lap. Not like kicking it out, oh no. She literally picked it up in her paws, barked, and threw it out. This charming habit( I actually do find it cute as ****) has continued to this day. Her other lovely habits include pulling my dog's tail(through the bar of the cage) and bouncing off the walls of her cage Matrix style. After Lucifer passed, Angel stopped eating and drinking, so I brought her to the vet. After thoroughly examining her, my vet determined that she was grieving, depressed, and probably missing her buddy. This led me to get Demon.
Demon is a 3 year old white chin. He is every bit as sweet as Angel is devious. He runs up to the cage and makes this soft crying sound whenever someone enters the room. He lets Angel beat him to the food bowl at dinner time. He lets her take her dust baths first. He loves scritchies and climbs onto my shoulders at every opportunity. As much as I miss my Lucifer, Demon is a very special boy. He even puts up with the way Angel flips the top off the flying saucer while he's on it. Granted, that usually does lead to a frantic chase around the cage, but can you blame him?

Nothing makes me quite as happy as seeing the two little fuzzbutts cuddled together in their hidey-hole.

Attachments

• SANY0455.jpg
    SANY0455.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 45
  • SANY0153.jpg
    SANY0153.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 49
Sounds to me like Demon has a bit of gallantry in him! Such a gentleman chin to let her go first at bath time and dinner time! ;)

They are both very cute! Gotta ask though..as will others..is one of them fixed? Or are you planning to breed them?

Forgot to say Welcome to CnH! :thumbsup:

:welcomewagon:

That's right, who said chivalry was dead? Oh wait, that's just with humans. :) Good for Demon.

Originally, it was my intention to breed. All 3 of the chins were purchased from hobby breeders who had information on parents & grandparents at the very least, in Angel's case up to great grandparents. However, it appears as though Angel is sterile. Lucifer was very amorous, and it never took. Demon shows absolutely no interest in mating whatsoever, and they've been together for almost a year. She was in with Lucifer for around 6 months as well. I've been reading the breeding info on this site since I joined, as well as the horror stories. I may someday try again, but after reading those stories, thinking about it very, VERY carefully.

And yeah, he really is the little gentleman.

They are adorable! Especially Angel, I love pw's!

One thing I wanted to note, though, is that even though Angel and Demon have been together a year with no kits... that doesn't mean there may never be any in their future. The first pair I ever had is now going on 8 years old and still does have babies on occasion (well, they're not together now, but they would likely have babies if re-paired)... but they never had any kits until they were both 3-4 years of age. So, you never know. Anything's possible. As long as you keep them together, I would be prepared for kits to potentially pop up one day.

Sorry, not familiar with chinnie abbreviations...pw?
That is interesting...One of the breeders(Lucifer's) had said that usually, if they were going to breed, they would fairly soon into being paired up. Granted, after losing Lucifer at only 3, I'm becoming very skeptical as to his breeder's knowledge, or even whether or not he lied to me about Lucifer's age.

pw = pink white - chinchilla with the beige and white gene, typically mostly white but can have patches of beige on the chinchilla, pink ears (Angel)

Some chins I've had paired up breed right away - I'll notice babies right in the range of 4-5 months after pairing (111 days + some time)... but not all. Some of it depends on the chin. I have heard some people say that if you plan on breeding, it is best to start with a female who is under 2 years old, because if they have never bred before 2 years, they are unlikely to start once they are that old. I don't know how true that is, but that's what I was told.

I've had a male paired up with two females - all three of which have had babies before, in different pairings, all of which had babies prior to being two years old - they have not produced anything for me in the last two years. Hypothetically, if I was to sell the trio though, I would still advise that they could produce kits at any time. Sometimes some of the larger breeders will post "fired females" (haha) for sale on here - females that don't produce for them - but then you hear stories of those females having kits elsewhere (either pregnant when sold, or they produced with a different male). So you really never know.

What happened to Lucifer?

I was told that Angel is a tan...She actually has no white on her whatsoever. My camera isn't the greatest. Demon is the white one.Lucifer died, very unexpectedly. I posted about it in the memorial page. He was fine, then fell over one night and there was fluid coming out of his nose. My vet was in surgery at the time, and when I was en route to another vet in the area that saw exotics on an emergency basis, he passed away. I have no idea what went wrong. Angel was fine, aside of grieving (I brought her to my vet to get her checked out). I got a new carbon monoxide alarm, triple checked for drafts, checked to make sure the temperature wasn't too warm, and everything seemed fine.

Oh, I'm sorry, I assumed Angel was the first pic (I was thinking angel = white) and Demon was the second pic (tan). I gotcha now.

I'm no expert on URIs (upper respiratory infections), but from the fluid coming out of his nose, that's a possibility... and I know if they're not caught early on they can be deadly quickly... and they can get them at any time, any age, so it's very possible that Lucifer was 3 and just happened to catch it and unfortunately pass from it. On several different occasions, I've had individual chins get URIs, while all the other chins I own never get sick... it's like anything, some may be more susceptible to injuries/illness than others. RIP Lucifer.

I figured that was what happened. Demon is my little white boy. I know, I named them backwards in every way possible.

As far as the URI goes, that is what my vet and I had determined. I'm just wondering now if there was a possibility that it could have been something else. It's been about a year, but I still miss him and I'm still kicking myself about it. I feel like there must have been some other signs that I missed. For him to get sick and die within a matter of hours still seems so unreal. I love Angel, and Demon, but they'll never take his place.

Well, I'm not trying to bring up bad memories, but chances are he had that URI for a bit of time at least, it's just that when you noticed it, it had gotten really bad. That's the unfortunate thing about chins - since they're prey animals they hide any pain and illness pretty well, so especially for someone with their first chin, it may be hard to notice until something really goes wrong and they're really sick.

Latest posts

Back