Am I doing it wrong?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have nails, you won't need a nail clipper anymore lol.

lol, even if you dont'

fingernails and baseboards are number 1 and 2 in the MC (Must Chew) handbook for chins, i swear....... lol.

I guess my chins read a diffrent book. #1 on their list is the walls, and the pain on the walls! And if soemthing is preventing them from getting to it, their gonna tare it apart!

Well I'm glad to hear about the "grooming" being bonding. I have a male that will let you pet him through the cage....LOVE to be scratched on the side of the face and under his chin but HATES to be picked up. But he will nibble my finger nails and almost like nibble the little bit of hair on my fingers.... LOL

In 5 years of my one male, he acctuly applied pressure while nibbeling on me one time. And even that you couldnt be made at. I was scratching his stomich. (his fav spot.. or right about it fav spot if he has his way) And he jsut got so into it he didnt realise what he was doing lol. When i inititaly jerked my finger, he looked so scared and sorry. Im standing their holding my finger and yet i feel bad for him lol. Hes so great!

as wierd as it sounds mine also likes to watch the t.v lol

I think most if not all chins like watching tv of some sorts, lol. Mine enjoys watching me play video games and gets annoyed if I pause the screen for too long if he's really paying attention to it.

He also doesn't like being picked up. (I adopted him from a rescue so I've always been under the assumption that he may not have been treated well by his first owner. The rescue said he was surrendered because he bit the first owner but there was no indication as to the circumstances or how hard.)

He does like being petted through the cage bars and sometimes tolerates me petting him with my hand in the cage after giving him a treat.

He'll land on my lap sometimes during playtime but not stick around long enough to be petted... unless I have treats for him. I think he's ruled by his stomach, lol.

He also has his freakout moments, which have been less lately. I think it was mainly due to the neighbors having got two little dogs which he wasn't used to hearing. Now that it's been a few weeks, he seems to have adapted.

Now he just chills in his tube all day except to eat and pee, lol.

lots of chins like to watch tv davey. i take my laptop in to the bedroom and Rhino likes to watch the Simpsons online, lol.

Davey, Jonesy watches TV, but only if it's something fun to look at/listen to. She totally ignores sports or news (my husband's dull choices), but sat up half the night watching the movie Dreamcatcher, and watches Supernatural with me when I put it on. (She's totally cool with TV voices, screams, any sounds, like she already knows it's not real. Chin intelligence blows me away.)
I read about a rescue that uses TVs to calm down stressed-out chins, so when we set up her cage, I made sure she had a good view. It surprised me, too, after how much I'd read that they rely on scent and sound more than sight, but she seems to react a lot like a toddler--she sees pretty stuff on there, and she's mesmerized. I gathered that she's not scared, because she'll come up to her door or her 2' shelf to watch, unlike the frozen crouch of terror she did at the dehumidifier.
ChinnyMom, I love that Rhino watches the Simpsons--he must be pretty well-versed in his sarcasm by now!

oh danilinn, you just gave me the best idea for new wood chews! i'm going to carve him a little skateboard out of a pine block! thanks!

Davey, Jonesy watches TV, but only if it's something fun to look at/listen to. She totally ignores sports or news (my husband's dull choices), but sat up half the night watching the movie Dreamcatcher, and watches Supernatural with me when I put it on. (She's totally cool with TV voices, screams, any sounds, like she already knows it's not real. Chin intelligence blows me away.)
I read about a rescue that uses TVs to calm down stressed-out chins, so when we set up her cage, I made sure she had a good view. It surprised me, too, after how much I'd read that they rely on scent and sound more than sight, but she seems to react a lot like a toddler--she sees pretty stuff on there, and she's mesmerized. I gathered that she's not scared, because she'll come up to her door or her 2' shelf to watch, unlike the frozen crouch of terror she did at the dehumidifier.
ChinnyMom, I love that Rhino watches the Simpsons--he must be pretty well-versed in his sarcasm by now!

Just don't let them watch animal planet, I learned the lesson with chubs. The show was of wild cats and well lets just say his warning bark kicked in right away :hilarious:

Tum Tum loves watching Disney stuff with me. But he also loves pooping around my entire desk just to come back and settle. lol the only time I got Tum Tum to stay still for like 10 min was when I watched the Rescuers! :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back