Am I doing it wrong?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish545

I've had my chinchill afor almost a year now (will be in august) but she still dose not let me pick her up. She's letting me pet her more now than before, but not much. Whenever I put my hand in the cage she either tries to escape, bite me, or bite my clothing/jewlery. What am I doing wrong?

I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but is it normal for a chin to kind of spaz out randomly? she'll just be standing there, calm, and then she'll just have a spaz attack for a few seconds

Is your chin trying to escape INTO or OUT of the cage?
If she's coming toward you, that may be a good sign, unless it's to attack, which is fairly rare. Her biting you may be exploration or aggression. By your description, it's difficult to tell.

The spaz attack could be popcorning: a sign of a happy chin. Again, it's difficult to tell by the short post. A video would help....

Not wanting to picked up is completely normal. I have 5 chins, the first for about 5 years. None of them like being picked up. In fact with my males, if you even pet to close to their back side (tail) they will assume your getting rdy to try and pick them up and bolt away.

Escape is not a big surprise either. When i open their cage doors (especially the females) they charge that door like their in the Olympics! They always want out lol.

Nibbling/chewing is very common as well. They chew on everything; Toys, wood, items, you, just about everything. Mine love to try and eat my finger nails especially. Its all part of their typical behavior. And once in a while thy might even get carried away with the amount of pressure they apply.

But if they wanted to hurt you in terms of biting, their would be absolutely no question about it in my opinion. The have strong jaws, and sharp teeth. But that usually doesn't happen if you treat them well. Last 5 years and 5 chins, iv never had it happen/

My boys hates being picked up! As for the girls Sparkle will let you hold her for 2 minutes and Tinker is nice and calm when you hold her. Every chin will have different attitudes.
As for the escape mode: I can open both sides of my fn when I'm cleaning the boys cage and they will not escape, now my girls ha they are ready to dart out for play time.
When you say spaze out, do you mean all the sudden your chin darts from one part of the cage to another or jumping up and down on it's hind legs (popcorning).
Patience is the key. I start my chins out in a small chin safe room (bathroom) so the have to come to me sooner or later, then later on let them have a bigger area to play in (my room). Just DON'T CHASE your chin, that will scare them.

the bites can be a good sign, right? Jonesy bites my fingers, but she does it the same way she chews a stick, or in response to a little petting.

if it is a light sort of nibbling then your chin is grooming you, and that is a great sign that a bond is forming. if they bite down with any pressure or break the skin, then that is aggression or a fear response.

Mine nibbles on my hand all the time, it's fine. As Chinnymom says they are just grooming you. If you have nails, you won't need a nail clipper anymore lol.

If you have nails, you won't need a nail clipper anymore lol.

not here! i still use my nail clippers, lol. Rhino is determined that my fingernails need to come COMPLETELY off my fingers if i let him get to the nails, and i don't let him maul his momma like that, hahaha!

Not wanting to picked up is completely normal. I have 5 chins, the first for about 5 years. None of them like being picked up. In fact with my males, if you even pet to close to their back side (tail) they will assume your getting rdy to try and pick them up and bolt away.

Escape is not a big surprise either. When i open their cage doors (especially the females) they charge that door like their in the Olympics! They always want out lol.

Nibbling/chewing is very common as well. They chew on everything; Toys, wood, items, you, just about everything. Mine love to try and eat my finger nails especially. Its all part of their typical behavior. And once in a while thy might even get carried away with the amount of pressure they apply.

But if they wanted to hurt you in terms of biting, their would be absolutely no question about it in my opinion. The have strong jaws, and sharp teeth. But that usually doesn't happen if you treat them well. Last 5 years and 5 chins, iv never had it happen/

my chins a male and does exactly the same! loves tryin to have me nails, he'll only let me pick him up when he wants to be picked up, amazing characters, and mine will chew anything in sight! i chinchilla proof my sitting room to let him out and he just chews the things i have used to proof the room lol cant beat the wall rides though lol

not here! i still use my nail clippers, lol. Rhino is determined that my fingernails need to come COMPLETELY off my fingers if i let him get to the nails, and i don't let him maul his momma like that, hahaha!

:laughitup:
I swear every chin has a bible on what they must chew asap, finger nails must be in there.

i guess i'm ruining all Jonesy's fun by being a nail biter--it's supposed to be her job! she gnaws my pinky fingers (close enough to stick size for her?) and i'm a little worried that she's just discovered my wedding ring--more worried about her teeth than the ring.

Well I'm glad to hear about the "grooming" being bonding. I have a male that will let you pet him through the cage....LOVE to be scratched on the side of the face and under his chin but HATES to be picked up. But he will nibble my finger nails and almost like nibble the little bit of hair on my fingers.... LOL

i've had Rhino since the end of February and he still doesn't like being picked up. every time i get what i call the 'half kack', lol. guess he figures there's no sense in going full out vocal when he knows it'll do him no good.

Hmmm Im somewhat experiencing this.

My 1st chin Tum Tum I got last December. For the 1st year, he barely allowed me to touch him. I got the impression from the breeder I got it from that some chinnies dont like being held as much or you can slowly try to get it used to being held and let it get to know you.

So after research and some advice, I spent 20-25 min every other day and sat near the cage and try to pet his head. Over a few months, he allowed me to do that and as well allowed me to also scratch his chin. So I let that slide for now. Then as he got a bit older, I began use Rose Hips as treats since I didn't want to use raisins. In the beginning, he wouldn't come near my hand. But soon, he would take a treat off my hand after I got home to get his paws to my arm and pet him. I do it around the same time every other day or 2 days incase. Now I can call his name and he will jump onto my lap to wait for a treat. lol hard work after almost 1.5 years. Once hes on my lap, hes okay with me holding him and carrying him around. But still need time to tame. Don't give up!

Bam Bam is about the same. hes younger and follows Tum Tum. But hes so jumpy that I will need to take time on him. hehehe

But yea some chins don't like being picked up. I think mine wasn't comfortable with me yet and still learning to get to know me. Takes time but good luck!! I thought Tum Tum didn't like being held but now I can hold him =)

Latest posts

Back