Am I a bad person?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
Okay, so as I've posted before my female chin had a kit, a little over 2 months ago. I had been considering re-homing her and her mama, but I really wasn't decided. After thinking about it, I really don't take them out of the cage as much as they deserve and they're always looking to come out.(My other chins are fine with coming out once or twice a week, sometimes not at all, but these two CRAVE attention!) So I made the decision to give them to someone I know who has chins experience and also has children that will play with them daily. I told her the only way she could have them is if they were to stay together!

Now everyone that I've told is making me seem like such a bad guy. My dad, step-mom, even my boyfriend. Everyone keeps saying 'she was your first baby, you should keep her!' and 'if you wanna get rid of one, get rid of an older one, not the baby...' I keep telling everyone I think they will be happier with more attention and that the woman has promised to keep mom and baby together. They try guilting me by going to the cage and saying 'aww shes so cute! how can you get rid of her?' and my Dad actually got angry when I told him my decision to re-home them was final and that the woman would be here in a few hours to pick them up.

Am I wrong in doing this? Should I really keep her just because 'shes my first baby?' Or am I making the right decision?

Personally I think you are doing the right thing, if you can't give them the attention they want and think they will be happier in a place where they will get the attention they obviously crave you are doing right. That is what I would do 100%

A couple of questions spring to mind:
Why did you take this chin on?
Did you breed this chin?

Part of breeding and having pets is knowing your limits. It sounds like the girls will be going to a home that can give them what they need. In your situation I might very well do the same thing.

However I would let her know that if the kit matures and they start to fight it's fine to separate them for their safety.

A couple of questions spring to mind:
Why did you take this chin on?
Did you breed this chin?

I got the female from Craigslist ad. The person told me she had been paired up with a male for several years and they produced several litters a year. The poor thing was being bred back to back to back. So when I got her, I assumed she was pregnant, and I read the breeding/baby FAQs day and night and did everything to prepare. I really wasn't planning on keeping the baby to begin with, so I had been considering a home for her since she was born, but I wasn't final in my decision. I've tried to slowly seperate them for several hours at a time, but the baby seems lost without her mom. And they both just want out of there cage 24/7 which I can't really do. My other guys just go about their business and as long as I feed them, give them hay and water, and a scritch or two, they're happy.

I know the woman who will be taking them, so its not like I'm shipping them off to a stranger who I will never here from again. I just personally think they will both be happier with a family who can spoil them rotten with attention.

;) I think you have answered your own (initial) question. You took on the chin because she was being bred back repeatedly & have brought her through her last (hopefully!) litter.............

I know the woman who will be taking them, so its not like I'm shipping them off to a stranger who I will never here from again. I just personally think they will both be happier with a family who can spoil them rotten with attention.

If this is what you truly believe then what does anyone else's opinion mean?

I think your decision to re-home momma and her kit is the responsible and caring thing to do. I agree with Claire, you removed her from a less than ideal situation, gave her the care and attention during her pregnancy that her previous owner probably didn't do, and now you are sending them to a loving and knowledgeable forever home. Kudos to you for helping out these 2 chins! :thumbsup:

Sounds like the right choice to me:) now I can understand dads anger if he was the one paying for cages, supplies, food, and the initial purchase of the chin, and now you are giving it away-I'm just assuming he did though, so...

Sounds like the right choice to me:) now I can understand dads anger if he was the one paying for cages, supplies, food, and the initial purchase of the chin, and now you are giving it away-I'm just assuming he did though, so...

No, my dad didn't pay for any of my chins, nor any of their supplies. I know for a FACT they will be happier somewhere where they will be played with and loved and given the attention I just cant give them. Everyone I live with is saying I'm terrible for rehoming them, but even after I told them the reason, not once did anybody volunteer to play with them a few times a week or anything. Now I really don't expect their help because they're MY animals, but don't criticize me on my decision to make sure my animals are taken care of...

You made the decision that is right for you. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for doing what you feel is right for the chinchilla.

Yea, you sound as justified as you could possibly be. And does your dad really think you should keep one over another just because it's cuter? Isn't that kind of shallow?

It seems your family has become attached to your pets but because they don't own them they can't keep taking pleasure in interacting with them at your expense. That's not your problem and they could have certainly stepped in to help care for them if they wanted the chins to stay in the house, like you said.

It sounds like you're doing what's best for the animal, which I think is the most important part of pet ownership. If you've explained the situation to them like you have to us and they still won't shut it, it might be time to pull out the "mind your own business" card rather than second guessing yourself. You've clearly thought this through; they clearly haven't.

It seems your family has become attached to your pets but because they don't own them they can't keep taking pleasure in interacting with them at your expense.

They really don't even full with ANY of my chins, let alone the baby. Sometimes I walk around the house holding one and they'll pet them and say 'how cute', or when my dad comes to my room to ask me something he'll put one through the cage, but thats about it. I don't see what the problem is since they don't handle any of them. All my chins are in my bedroom. I honestly could have re-homed them and they wouldn't have noticed for months, if ever... I could understand if it was a family pet or something, or even if they were still mine but everyone in the family enjoyed and interacted with them, but they don't...

Wow, what an uncalled for attitude. Making you feel guilty for doing what you feel is right. Like you said, it's not like they were willing to give the mama and baby 24/7 attention!! I probably would have blown up at people telling me what I should do with my pets. I think you are handling this well and are definitely not a bad person. After all, you saved poor mama from a bad situation! I would say ignore them, but I know that's almost impossible. Hopefully they will forget after a while and get off your back about it. Or maybe you could tell them politely that the subject is closed.

So they want you to get 'rid' of your older chins. As like when you have a older dog and then get rid of it because you got a puppy who didn't get along with the older dog - so the older dog goes. You are right the chin you rescued and her kit should be the one who finds another GOOD home. The chins who came first should stay with you.

I would think that your family would be proud of you for making such a responsible decision. You know your limits and have found homes for the rescues you took in. You are not abandoning them and have actually made their lives hugely better. If your family gives you a hard time than just come here and read the posts. Hopefully we can make you feel better.

you're not terrible!

It seems like you're doing the responsible thing to give the chinnys the best home they can have! It would be irresponsible to care for more chins than you have time for. So stick up for yourself - I think you're doing the right thing.

Back