Alternatives to hardware cloth

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonLee

Chinny Slave
So I moved Rocky into his an FN 142 yesterday, and today I am preparing to open the top level of Leeloo and Eevee's 142 (where Rocky was previously housed).

Eevee is almost two months old now, and while she is a large kit, I don't want to risk her squeezing out of the cage. The bottom level has been babyproofed since before she was born, but I really hate the hardware cloth. It was an absolute pain to cut and keep flat, and the sharp edges have caused myself a few injuries in the last couple months.

So I was wondering if anyone had thought of some other baby proofing methods. Some thing I've thought about... since I pulled the middle grate from Rocky's cage, and I believe the grating goes the opposite direction of the cage bars, I might be able to use that on the back of the cage... I'm unsure, though. All ideas are welcome.

I know that in all likelihood I'm stuck with hardware cloth... bleh.

TSC sells the 1/2" x 1" cage wire in 30" x 15' rolls for $20. You can cut the wire with blue handled electrical cutters. Then use a bench grinder or a drummel hand tool on all of the sharp little nubs before attaching to the cage.

Latest posts

Back