altering a male chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brekai722

ChinCrazy and Loving It
:help:I have several mated pairs of chins that have been pets and breeders that I want to officially retire from breeding. Since they started as my pets, I plan on having the males fixed so that they can remain together for the rest of their lives.:thinking2:

I haven't been able to get much on the subject and I was wondering what some of you think. I want to do what is best for my babies and to allow them to stay together. I do still have breeder pairs but the ones I'm planning on having done are ones that hold a special place in my heart and will never go anywhere.

I want to get back to having pets instead of breeders and have kept kits from these special chins so that I have kits as pets also that will not be bred.

Please give me you ideas and opinions on this. If you have horror stories of why I shouldn't have them fixed I need to know that too. If anything happened that could have been avoided to these special ones, I would suffer heartache, so I'm nervous about the process. I know I'm a little insane but I guess I want both me and them to remain happy. Any thing you can offer in info would be greatly appreciated.:thanks10:

I don't have any horror stories about getting a male neutered. In fact, I think it is a great idea.

Neutering retired males is a great way to ensure that they can still have a female cagemate without breeding. Some males get very attached to their female companions and vice versa.

Well there are always some risks, but with the right vet there is little chance of anything going wrong. It is more dangerous to spay a female chin then neuter a male.

I had 5 neutered by the same vet so far no problem. This vet also did an amputation on 1 of my chin's too. If you have a good vet that has done it before I would go for it if you want to leave them together. It's better to have the male neutered than having the female spayed. Good luck in your decision.

I also have a neutered male for the same reason (keeping him with his female) and there was absolutely no complications. As mentionned above though, it is a more risky procedure than neutering a dog or a cat. I was told it was closer to rabbits. So if you do find a good and experienced vet, I would have no problems suggesting you go ahead with that.

Neutering is still not that common. I believe as time goes by and vets become more experienced, it will become a more common practice. And I do hope it will get common.

Yes, if you have a vet that knows what he/she is doing the risks are not great. If you are planning on keeping the males together then you don't have to neuter them. I retired my 15 year old and my 12 year old males and put them together with no problems. They enjoy each others company and don't have to worry about a sassy female

The males I'm fixing are very attached to their mates so that is why I'm doing it. Thanks for all the encouraging comments. I feel a little better about it now. I'll keep you updated on how they do.

The most important thing is to have an experienced, chinchilla-savvy exotics vet. I have had 3 boys neutered, all with only minor complications, and they then were all able to live happily ever after, first Mr. Whiskers and Baby, then The Snuggler when Baby died. So far, Little Two Paws is living alone, due to his handicapped status, so he'll probably not need to be fitted for HIS little pink apron!!! :thumbsup:

You must keep them in a small, confined space, as they shouldn't be jumping around and running on the wheel until they are all healed up.

Hmm....Wonder if they are, Bailey because the reproductive system would be pretty much the same and I believe that dogs are still fertile for a little while after castration.

I was told to wait 30 days after sugery to let all the 'hormones' get out of the system, maybe that's what she was talking about.

That is likely. I am also wondering if it does affect their sex drive. With dogs they lose most interest, but it is known with guinea pigs and sometimes rabbits that a neuter does not make them less "studly".

It did later that here at least. HeMs not making that funny little sound when he gets excited, that's a long time since I've heard it. He's still 'mounting' his female but more in a dominant way.

There was never a lot of humping after my 3 were neutered. The aggressiveness toned down into them snuggling on top of each other and in their tube. Every once in a while there is some tail wagging and the burnt almond smell, but nothing ever escalates.

They spend most of the day sharing recipes and baking pies in their little pink aprons!!! ;)

Is my little Eeyore on that list Sonia? (btw, I think I need some updated pics...all of the good ones died with the other forum)

Hey Annie,

No Eeyore is just Eeyore - single, happy, and spoiled rotten. You remember he doesn't like change. I gave him a fleece tunnel and left the black one in too so he can't decide which one he loves more. I don't think he would do with a lady friend since he thinks he's so handsome he should be surrounded. I don't know if I told you but I love that handsome devil. I am so glad he's a part of our lives.

PS Pictures as soon as I can get him to hold still for a minute.

Hi Sonia! I remember you from CnQ :eek:) I am Melissa with Max and Ruby (I adopted them last Aug. off of Craigslist...remember me?). Anyways, I did get Max neutered last month so that they would not breed anymore. Although he made an attentive father, I wanted to make sure I get as much life out of Ruby that I can!!! I had it done at SEAVS in Vienna VA, and they did a wonderful job! The only problem after the surgery was the sadness he had from missing Ruby, so they had supervised play times. And they are back together now! So I highly recommend SEAVS!

mey experience was bad

I had a list I printed off of the internet on what to ask the vet. I had asked him all the questions and double checked the answers with another vet. Both were exotics, but I wanted to make sure. He even siad that he was the vet for a chinchilla farm 20 minutes away. I thought I had the right one! They called me around 1 in the afternoon after I took lennox up that morning. He was eating and drinking and said he was acting normal. Sent me home. By that evening he just looked like he was in so much pain. He stopped eating/ drinking and going to the bathroom. I called the ER and they told me to give him a bit more time, and if things didnt look good by morning to bring him in. It was about 6 am and by this time I was so stressed I couldnt wait. I packed him up, and traveled back to the vet. They looked him over, gave him metcam and critical care, and sent him home. That evening he still want going to the bathroom, he had peed once since the surgery and it was a small drop. I put a heating pad under the cage and about an hour later he had a small little dropping and he peed a bunch! I was excited. I continued on my 30 min feeding schedule. The next mrning nothing again. Back to the vet. Then they gave him metoclopram, and told me to pick up baby gas drops. I swear I lived at that vet that week. The next week I went aobut three times. The third week I took him to a new vet. He is still getting his gas drops daily, but he is eating on his own now. He lost a lot of weight, but is coming on slowly. The new vet said the surgery area looks great, and that all chins react differently to it. I am also freaking if one thing is out of the ordinary, but I was not ready for the worst. I have one more male I want neutered but I am not ready for 30 min feedings for two weeks again! The third week was every two hours, and that only lasted a few days. When his baby kit got here, he seemed to get better imediately. I was sick from no sleep. I had no one to help, and the vet said they would have to tube him if I left him there for a night. SO, be prepared, just incase!

Update

The 4 boys are doing great. Turk came home to 3 baby kits. Got him taken care of just in time. Everyone is happy to see each other. Thanks for all of the encouragement.
:thumbsup:

Back