Almost bad experience.. water bottle not working!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdiz123

This was Today:
I check Freddie's water bottle every day to check if it's working. Well today I left for school at around 7 am and came back at 4 pm. As usual I checked around 6pm to see if the water bottle was working. Well it wasn't.. He also didn't eat any pellets or hay today (I'm guessing since he didn't have water) i felt TERRIBLE! I got desperate and I got a food bowl that you attach to the cage (so it won't tip over) and put very little water in it. Right away he drank ALL the water from the bowl. I know you shouldn't use bowls and only use water bottles but I'm pretty sure he didn't drink anything all day and possibly last night. It was connected to the cage and I was watching him. Tomorrow I'm running after school to get a new water bottle. The water bottle that broke was Living World. It lasted only a WEEK working! Thank gosh I check everyday. For now he has a bowl with some water just until I get back from school and go buy a new one. Phew. He is now finally eating. Poor guy :( I've only had Freddie for about a week and this happened :(.
Sorry I just had to vent. I can't believe a glass water bottle lasted A WEEK working. What a rip off. What if i didn't notice? AH :cry4:

Always have an extra water bottle in case this happens and check very often to make sure it's working properly. Apparently these things do happen when least expected...
Here's a picture of the water bottle: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-73412-55229-smallpet.jpg

what size bottle are u using? the smallest size is notorious for stopping, 4/6 stopped working for me, i had 10 hamsters and they were briefly on them for 2 days before they stopped working, i got them replaced, and yet again more than 1/2 stopped working... it was a defect, they noted how upon 3 exchange of a batch of them for me, that some sounded different (the ball inside the nozzle?) it apparently didnt make the same sound when gently shook vertically... go with the medium 12 oz bottles, and remember to fill it all the way up and Half bubbled (when you screw the nozzle back on, it will squeeze out the excess water just make sure to overfill) it will help keep the pressure and that should prevent 1/2 your problems... if it doesnt its probably defective, i hear the petsmart ones are better?

Well that's too bad if the chin didn't have water, i refill my bottle daily so i can always check. Did it just not hold the water pressure or what made it malfunction? because in that picture is basically what myn is (same design anyways).

Honestly I have no idea. I washed it through a million times and checked, it wasn't clogged. I changed the angle and everything and it still didn't work!

I have bad luck with water bottles, more than half seem to either not work or leak constantly. Make sure you demand a refund and once you get one that functions cherish it. =(

We have the Superpet ones with the ducky in them. We found that if we fill them to the top then they tend not to dispense water for some reason. But if we fill it 1/2-3/4 of the way full and give it a good hard shake before we put it in... just fine. That looks like a similar sort of design.

I've had the same experience as tcraighenry with our glass water bottles. They are the Super Pet ones too. You have to figure out the right amount to fill it to, otherwise none comes out at all or it drips constantly - one or the other.

yeah like chinmama said, i usually find it working best if i practically fill it to the rim. i dont know the science of physics to the whole thing but im guessing it creates a better pressure and suction to keep water in. because i filled it up somewhat low one time and i noticed it leaked somewhat :/

I use lixit glass ones with the turtle inside. They're usually in the bird or rodent area of the pet stores like petsmart or petco. One of the few reasons to get anything from those stores, but yeah. I hope you get a good one that works. I had a super pet one that didn't work and another one (can't remember if it was lixit or not) that leaked.

I actually have two waterbottles in my chins cage for this very reason. I have an old plastic one (that does not get chewed, so no worries) and a glass one that I got when I got my new pastel about a month or so ago. They drink out of both of them :)

Latest posts

Back