Air filters

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfstache

Beware the 2 headed chin
I'm sure I'm not the only one of us to have experienced a problem like this, so maybe someone knows a good solution. We've lived in our current home since the house was built and ever since we've had an issue with our AC. Our filters kept getting messed up and would never stay in place due to a bad design. I sort of gave up on trying to fix it and as a result chin fur and dust has worked its way up through our ducts and plugged up our AC and caused some damage. We got it fixed after the repair guy lightened my wallet quite a bit, so everything is working again and I have a few suggestions already for how to fix the filter issue so that part is all taken care of. Now with all the background out of the way, what type of air filters do you all use? Has anyone else noticed any problems with how fast they fill up with debris? The repair guy suggested to use the cheap flimsy filters and throw them away since there is so much debris being created by my 20 +/- chins which are located only a few feet away from the main return vent. A buddy of mine insists that a washable filter would be better and would only need to be cleaned, and would be cheaper in the long run.

I agree that cheap disposable filters are probably best. Or you can find a washable one that works and put a cheap replaceable filter in front of it to catch the large particles and dispose of those more frequently.

We use the washable one, but we only have two chinchillas and two big fluffy dogs. I vacuum it weekly and wash it once a month.

Usually you don't put a filter on the main return vent but since the chins are creating an issue could you do this? Maybe help filter out some of the fur/dust? Living here in FL = A/C on most of the year and we go through those cheap filters quite a bit, though I have never tried the washable kind.

I have asthma,8 chins,3 long hair dogs,1 long hair cat, and 2 short hair cats. I did the cheap filters for awhile changing every 2 weeks and still had major dusst/hair/dander problems. I gave in and ordered a big box of the more expensive pleated 3 month filters . They last about a month but they handle the air quality sooo much better. They are worth the expennse for me even though we have 2 main return registers now.

I'm the daughter of a HVAC guy so you'd think I'd know. :shrug: I'm guessing whether cheap filters more often or a washable one all depends on the frequency you actually use/clean them as well as the size of your unit. (Also if your unit is the right size for your house-you'd be surprised at what certain technicians would sell people just to move a certain unit) Some systems are supposed to have the filter changed once a month, but plenty arent even changed once a year. I do know its more expensive to force air through when filters are fuller so vacuuming the filters/return vent/ etc., may be a good thing to get into a regular cleaning schedule more often. (Also, its more efficient if your outside unit isn't an improptu trellis for weeds-having that airflow unrestricted and not having plants growing between parts is better) Definitely check online reveiws-some cheap filters are cheap for a reason and would collapse if vaccumed, others may be a great deal. Also look into which washable filters there are. Some even say they aren't supposed to get wet and wont work properly afterwards :facepalm: Another general HVAC tip-in my general area 4 out of 5 of the "a" companies, the first four in the phone book, are owned by the same guy, and are kinda ****ty companies (many of his guys drive unmarked vans so they can show up for whichever of the four was called). I've heard about a technician letting out the chemical that cools down your house, just to tell the homeowner it was empty and needed to be charged. And another who peed next to a boiler and said it was leaking.But the guy who owns the 5th "a" company is very honest and good. So be careful with your technicians.

Back