Agressive Chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

iluvhelping

Hi. I just bought my chinchilla about a month ago. She is a standard grey and was born on November 3rd, 2008.

Right when I got her I put her in this wire cage that I bought from Petsmart made for chinchillas. But all my Chinchilla (Jane) does is try to bite through the wires. She will eventually get her whole body into it and bounce up and down trying to tear through the wire cage. What can i do, or get so that she doesn't do that? Or will she grow out of it...or do I just need a new cage? If so, where should I buy one from?

Thankss!

I think I'd try to find her something to keep her occupied, instead of the bars - maybe a apple branch to chew on, or even a piece of pine, if there's no wood in the cage.
How big is the cage? I know petsmart is considered "petdumb" by most of us as their employees know nothing about chins, and are usually not trained!
I, personally, had a girl who bought 2 ebony males from me, go to them and they recommended fresh carrots - killed one overnight! She brought the survivor back to me, along with the over $500 worth of things she bought from them, and said she couldn't handle it! 80% of the stuff was unnecessary, too!
I won't even go in there!
With something to chew, hay, fresh water and pellets, and something to keep her occupied, she should calm down - maybe get her a little "snuggle buddy" someone sells here, to help with loneliness, and she'll be fine!
Look through the supplies for sale threads and you'll get an idea for a larger cage - there's a lot out there to accomidate your room and budget.

Last edited:
Aww, she's jst a bitty baby! Little ones have lots of energy, and are determined to find a way out of the cage.

Rick had some good suggestions, too. Something to occupy her with. I'd like to add something else, though--time with you. She is still getting to know you, and the best thing you can do right now is spend time with her.

Time sitting next to her cage, even just reading a book or watching a movie; and talking to her. Take her to the bathroom, shut the door, and let her run around. Stay in there with her, just sit down on the floor, and she will slowly start approaching you to check you out. Give her time to adjust to her new surroundings, and time to get to know you.

Congratulations on your baby chin, and welcome to CnH! She needs a hidey house, something dark and quiet. I use a fleece covered metal coffee can. Be sure to close the lid on the toilet during playtime, she doesn't need a chinny swimming pool LOL. Pics of the cage would be nice so we can suggest what might need improvement and we always love baby pics.

When you go to her when she does this, does she stop??? Also, if you can, try to increase the play time (as stated above) should help with her being young and full of energy.

When Stolie first came to us in his crap cage, he did this. When he was given a bigger cage with things to occupy himself with he stopped...

so maybe pics or layout of your cage????

Loll they do get overexcited sometimes, jumping and bouncing and biting at the bars! Make sure she has something to chew on in the cage, as mentionned above. Maybe she needs more playtime with you?

Jasper does this as well. I've noticed that he does it when he's in his "weekend cage" more than his normal cage. His weekend cage is just a cage he's in when I travel from home to Greensboro to visit. This cage is considerably smaller than his normal one, however even after taking him out and giving him his baths, he seems to be more... aggressive. He attacks his water bottle and pulls it back and forth on the bar. He has three different types of chews and his house. He hasn't bitten me or my boyfriend yet, but his nibbles are getting harder... Any advice?

Unfortunately not at the moment. When we first got him we got a wheel from Petsmart... Needless to say after finding out that the plastic could harm him he no longer had that wheel. I'm trying to save up to completely redo his cage. Any quick fix ideas?

Back