Aggressive fur chewing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahKay

Mother of Zeb and Roo
My chinchilla Zeb has always been a bit of a fur chewer but it was limited to a little bit on his back left hip and that was that. As of this week, his chewing has intensified to the point where his whole left side has been chewed to the point where I can see skin. The skin does not look irritated and I have been combing the fur that is matted from his chewing but I was wondering if there's anything I can do? Have people had success with offering more chewables to distract chins from chewing themselves and could this be an indicator of a bigger issue? There have been no recent changes that would cause a sudden spike in his stress level.

Have a look a this post.
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38000&highlight=bald+patch
I would think seeing skin is not a good sign and could indicate a fungus of some sort. The above link has some instructions for treatment. A vet would be able to give you a diagnosis with a black light on whether it is or not. Is the skin red, patchy, bumpy or irritated? This could be a sign of ringworm. [Which is contagious, make sure you wash your hands after.]
Is the brushing new? It's working wonders on my boy but maybe it's too stressful on yours? Or if the mats are being pulled out maybe some of the fur is slipping.

I looked at him pretty close and his skin looks a healthy pink. I can't see skin unless I blow fur out of the way and the place where he chewed it out the worst is starting to grow back. Does this mean we need to go to the vet? The word "ringworm" just made me itch all over.

Also, how does a chinchilla get ringworm without coming into contact with anyone or anything that has it?

Last edited:
My Rosey is a fur-chewer, and has been her whole life. She is not stressed as far as I can tell, has plenty of toys, hay, and exercise time.
I think with her it is just a bad habit.
She goes through phases where the fur chewing will be very bad... bald patches on her flanks, and she strips the top inch of her tail, and then just as suddenly, she will quit, and the fur grows back.

So long as the skin underneath is not broken, not red or flaky, then I'd doubt it's ringworm.

Has anything changed in his environment lately? Different pellets or hay? Could he be bored? You could try new toys, plus give him added free time and attention. Just keep an eye on his skin, and watch for any other new symptoms.

He could just be a habitual chewer, like my Rosey.

Latest posts

Back