Age/Size of chin in FN142

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiffyskaar

I'm getting two chins that are about 3 months old and I was planning on blocking off half of my FN 142 for a little while until they get a little older and bigger. Is there a recommended size or age they should be until I should let them roam the whole cage?

Thanks!

From what I've read, it has to do with how much they weigh. 3 month old kits could still squeeze between the bars of an FN142 that hasn't been baby proofed!

Oh seriously? I must have seriously mistaken their size in the pics I have of them. Thanks so much for the warning! Hubby and I are shopping for some more things for them before we pick them up so we will have to buy some chicken wire or something to wrap around the cage. Is that the best thing to use?

Yeah... but really careful because it can be sharp... When I had my kit I wrapped the cage in screen that you would screen a window with. It worked really well!

My chins have been running loose in the FN142 since they were 12 weeks old. I just did not have a lot of tall ledges or a wheel.

Oh my, how did I not see this post before posting my question. LOL... geez, sorry about posting basically the same question. I am getting a FN142 as well, Tiffy. My baby chins are just 20 days old, so they will have a while until they can be in their FN142.

I GOT MY FN TODAY!! Thank you amazon and your 2 day shipping! Haven't put it together yet, hubby is busy and there's no way i'm taking that on by myself. I'm having my dad come over and help me put it together in exchange for feeding him delicious dinner haha. Then we shall see if they will fit through the bars.

The ultimate test will be when I get them on saturday!!

Could you use plexiglass on the outside of the cage at thr bottom?

I wouldn't. Too much risk of them chewing it, and and since plexiglass can make she pretty sharp sliver, I don't think it is work the risk. Hardware cloth is cheap and can be removed and stored easily.

Plexiglass will also restrict airflow which could lead to overheated animals.

Latest posts

Back