age of chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ann1

is there a way to tell the age of a chinchilla without actually knowing it? Like with dogs/horses you can tell or at least give a best guess by looking at their teeth. Is there any tale tale signs with chinnies?

no, thats why you can never tell what age a chin is if you but them from a pet shop. From about 6 months onwards, they all look the same.
Sometimes, chins can grow freckles on their ears as they age, but honestly I don't think thats a reliable way of telling how old they are.

no, thats why you can never tell what age a chin is if you but them from a pet shop. From about 6 months onwards, they all look the same.
Sometimes, chins can grow freckles on their ears as they age, but honestly I don't think thats a reliable way of telling how old they are.

The beiges can get freckles as they age, but not all of them get it. Plus my beiges freckles havn't changed too much in the last year or so...

Other than size, i'm really not sure if there is a way. Maybe by examining their teeth? I don't know...

Other than size, i'm really not sure if there is a way. Maybe by examining their teeth? I don't know...

My youngest chin here is a good bit larger than the chin I suspect is my oldest. You can't even tell with with size.

You can't tell with size at all. I have a white violet boy who is only 470grams but is two years old. He is very tiny and still looks like a kit to me.

I didn't think so. I just wondered if there was a way to. I know size doesn't mean anything as stated and i know that there teeth continuosly grow so that wouldn't be a way. I wouldn't think the feckles would either cause if that were true then a really old chin would have some serious freckles going on. Lol

I agree with Spoof...there is no way to tell how old a chin is.

Like others have said...chins teeth are always growing, size isn't an indicator either as not all chins grow at the same rate, freckles are not an indicator either as both young and old chins can have freckles on their ears.

There was an "old" chin in the previous forum "Zeman" that was in his upper 20's when he passed away - at the end, he looked old, grey around his head and just generally disheveled - kinda like we all get, towards the end!

when you see a chin that has oxidized you know it is not a "young" chin but you cannot tell how old it is (climate also comes into play when we look at oxidation)

Latest posts

Back