Age for wheels, more for breeders/show chins or pet chins too?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNChinLover

Hello,
I have been researching wheel age and see most people say that you shouldn't give a chin a wheel until they are 6 months or older.

Most peoples responses for why was "because they need the energy to grow"

Now my question is, will chins develop abnormally where they are going to have bad health or side affects in the future? Or are they potentially just going to be smaller?

From what it seems, most breeders and/or people who show, want big chinchillas so I see why size is a big issue.

But is there a good reason not to give pet chinchillas a wheel earlier than 6 months?

Is there any proof that it is indeed bad to give a young chin a wheel?

Thank you!

I think one of the biggest things is young chins can't regulate their blood sugar and can end up with low blood sugar do to over exerting themselves, which causes seizures and coma. Also along the same lines the chin can actually loose weight and become anemic, weak, and/or starve and die if they run too much. A chin's belly can only hold so much so they pretty much need to be mostly eating when awake as kits as it is, they'd have to eat even more (which is not physically possible) if they are burning off energy exercising. Some people have even had to take wheels away from adult chins do to them running on them too much and loosing weight.

Mine get a wheel as early as 3 months of age since they're put in with older chins so far nothing has happened to them.

Thank you guys! If anyone would like to second what someone else already said or add in their own bit of information/experience keep it coming!

I have already heard some new explanations, so thank you.

Would introducing a wheel and monitoring a chin be okay, or are there a lot of cases where it is not healthy for the young chin? Or is this something that is rare, but it isn't necessary for them to have a wheel, so why chance it?

(I plan on waiting with mine, but just like to be more informed).

Wheels definitely aren't necessary for chins at any age. My boys have never used wheels, and they aren't fat or lazy. They get out of cage playtime in a restricted area 3-4 times a week instead. Chins don't need either playtime or wheels though, most breeders don't provide either and their chins turn out fine. I don't really have any experience with babies.

Even if they don't NEED wheels or playtime, it's still good for them to have it. Enrichment is good mental stimulation in addition to fun exercise.

I would say wheels are more for pet chins. However, they are used for larger sized chins in a breeding environment if they need to lose weight.

Latest posts

Back