After a dental filing: How much Metacam and/or Baytril

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peachydays

<--My sweet girl Gregory
BACKGROUND:

I noticed that Romeo had stopped eating his hay, so I took him to the vet this past Saturday, and he had x-rays done. They showed that one of his back teeth is curving backwards, so they scheduled him for a dental filing tomorrow (Tuesday). They are going to give me his x-rays on a disc tomorrow (they didn't have time to on Saturday), so I will post those when I get them.

They also sent me home with Metacam and injectable Baytril (my choice, over the oral), each to be administered once per day. On Saturday I gave him about 20ccs of Critical Care since I figured he wasn't getting enough nutrition (he had lost weight), and it was painful for him to grind the hay. I also gave him a little bit yesterday. This morning I noticed he hadn't touched his pellets at all (I'm thinking because he knows his mama will give him the CC and that is easier than trying to get the pellets down). So, he got more CC this morning (approx. 23cc's), and I'll give him another 40 cc's this evening since he's not eating at all on his own.

ACTUAL QUESTION:
How much Metacam and Baytril (if any Baytril at all) should he be given post-filing? I have a feeling that they will prescribe each for once per day. Is that enough? Should he get them twice per day? He is quite a little guy...only about 420 grams.

I'm really nervous about this procedure, and also what may be in store for him down the road. Having been through root elongation malo before with my little Ralphie, I am trying to both stay positive for Romeo, but also prepare myself mentally for what may (will?) be a sad outcome.

I won't give a antibiotic unless there is a sign of infection or the chin has periodontal disease, and if I do use it it won't be baytril on its own-baytril is not effective as a stand alone antibiotic for oral infections, it needs to be used with flagyl. If I am using a antibiotic on a periodontal chin I would use tri-meth-sulfa as a pre and post opt antibiotic and a preventative since its frequent that periodontal pockets are pus filled and not seen orally until disturbed.. In this chins case if there is no infection, no previous diagnosis of perio disease just use the metecam or if the metecam does not cut the pain use tramadol.

Thanks, Dawn. The vet also did an oral examination on Saturday, and she said it looked like he had a small infection. So based on what you're saying, the antibiotic that should be used is "tri-meth-sulfa", correct?

The vet I go to seems very competent and seems willing to work with me, but in case I get any pushback on the use of tri-meth-sulfa, is there anything in particular I can tell them to convince them?

Baytril on its own does not penetrate pus well, used with flagyl they work well synergistically since flagyl does work well for pus, but not great or URIs which dental chins with oral active infections often get and together they work well as a team. If I am to use only one antibiotic and the baytril/flagyl is not working I will use Chloramphenicol. Trimethsulfa I use as a pre opt/ post opt antibiotic for perio chins that have been known to have infections but have no clinical proof until after their pockets are cleaned out-its a "preventative" measure, not exactly the greatest since antibiotic resistance is a issue, but its what my vet likes to prescribe as a "just in case". If this infection is periodontal or its soft tisse, antibiotics will clear it up after the pocket is cleaned out, if its periapical antibiotics will only stave off the growth of the infection, they will not clear it up until the source of the infection is removed I:E the tooth.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Right now he's on .15 cc of Metacam, once per day. But tonight after I fed him, I noticed him pawing at his mouth, which I've never seen him do before. Is this a sign of pain, or just discomfort?

If I recall correctly, prolonged and/or excessive use of Metacam can cause kidney problems (or some sort of problem, I may be remembering wrong). Is it ok to give Metacam twice per day after a dental filing? Is that considered "excessive"? And for how long should it be given? Again, just looking to educate myself so that when I take him in tomorrow, I will have a better idea if what they prescribe for him is the best treatment.

Unrelated note - I'm starting to freak out about this whole thing :(

Last edited:
The thought is 20 days of metecam in a row is safe, but I have used it for 9 months with no problems-chin got blood tests in mean time for its heath issue and enzyme tests were checked at that time and the chin was doing ok. So 20 days your chin will be fine using it. I use it twice a day, days dose split in two. Pawing is either pain or drool swiping, if the chin is pawing there is still a issue in the mouth. For a simple filing with no other issues I use metacam for up to 7 days after or until the chin starts eating on its own. As jaded as I am about teeth issues now, I still get panic attacks thinking about it from time to time!

Romeo didn't make it through the anesthesia.

I am heartbroken, but I know I did the best I could for him. I firmly believe everything happens for a reason. I am taking comfort in the fact that at least he was on the Metacam for the past 3 days, so at least he wasn't in pain anymore.

I adopted him from a rescue in May 2010, and they told me that he (and 26 other chins) had been being kept outside. I am happy that I was able to provide him with the good, loving home that he deserved these past couple years.

I'm just in shock right now.

Oh Shayna :'( I'm so sorry. When I got your text this morning I couldn't believe it and then I rubbed my eyes again... :tissue:

that sucks but as you said you did what you could and he had a few years of happiness with you. Now he is pain free - waiting for you many years down the road to be reunited

Oh no! I'm so sorry Shay. I know he had a wonderful life with you. RIP sweet Romeo.

Back