Advice/Thoughts | 3 Month Old Baby - Sleeping in pee?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellylynnmarie

lovin' my chinny boys!
About a month ago, I got 2 baby boys, so they are now just over 3 months old. A couple of times now, one of them (Dash) has seemed to be covered in pee. (At least that's what I'm guessing from the smell!) Is this normal behavior for a young chin? I've only ever had adults, so not 100% sure what to expect. His brother (Twitch) doesn't seem to do this, but Dash will sleep anywhere and is constantly rolling around everywhere. I give them dust baths every other day, but with him doing this, I almost need to do it daily.

I'll be honest that I'm a little paranoid that they are going to start fighting and need to be separated (because that's what happened with my previous set of brothers), so I just want to make sure he doesn't look like a total mess because he's getting beat up by his brother and that it is, in fact, just him sleeping/rolling in his pee.

I'm hoping I can start to litter train them soon, but not sure how old they should be before I start.

Any thoughts? advice?

Well, he's either rolling in it or getting peed on. Hard to say without actually seeing it. You're sure he's not just sleeping under the water bottle and getting dripped on?

Litter training - find where they pee and put the tray there now. Chins usually pee in the same spot (in my experience) so just put it where they go.

I've seen him lay his head right where he pees, so my guess is that he's laying in it. But I guess he could be laying there and his brother pees on him in that same spot. I'm hoping it's not malicious between the two. Do you think?

I'll put a litter pan in and see what happens.

Good news - they took to the litter pan right away and no more messes! :)

Aloha!!!

I sure hope litter training my girls goes this smoothly! So glad to hear your boys are doing well!

A hui hou,
~ Tina

---
sig.jpg

Back