advice on washing machines for chin bedding...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partygirlha

So my very old top loader needs to be replaced soon. the poor thing has been repaired twice already this year and we know there is a crack in the drum - leading to leacking....

so does anyone have a machine they think does a great job on their fleece bedding?

Im considering looking into adding a garbage disposal to the drain line - does anyone know if they can be set up to automatically tun on when the machine is drairning? As much as a shake out my bedding a lot of hay still ends up in the machine and blocks the drain - I'm hoping to fix this.

all suggesions help and advice are welcome. (one main problem is that the doors leading to my bastment where the laundry is a re very narrow so I may be limited in machine options based on size:hair:)

I'm not sure about the garbage disposal hookup, however I have front loading Maytag Epic W&D, and I love them. I shake my liners out completely beforehand, though, but I've never had a problem with clogs. There were some issues with mildew growing around the barrels of front loaders but I think the newer ones fixed the problem. I run a bleach cycle (without clothes) through it about twice a month just to be safe.

I do use washing bags (mine are mesh) but with 5 cages there's always some hay that clogs my drain :(. really it's not that big a deal to clear the drain strainer between loads I was just thinking a disposal would be even easier.

Dusty Foot Prints, do you find that the frount loader gets chin stuff really clean? I was thinking frount loader but on a guinea pig site a few people said that they don't think frount loaders use enough water compared to top loaders... I hadn't thought about that since I've only ever owned top loaders.

I had been thinking a frount loader would be better for my cloths and many items that do better without and agitator.. so I was not thrilled to hear some people didn't like them for pet stuff.

The biggest issue with front loading washers is the lack of water. Hubby and I got a set, and I am not likely to get another, I'll go back to top loaders next time. (I also cloth diaper so I've definitely had some washing experience! ha!)

However, if you (or anyone) is set on a front loader, MOST determine water level by weight. Once it's done filling with water you can open the soap dispenser and add a couple gallons of water. It's a total pain though...

Tx Dewdrop. If I still consider a front loader I'll take a close look at water capacity and how to get the MOST waster I can into the pet wash. I'm sure cloth diapers are a much biger issue than my fleece.

The biggest issue with front loading washers is the lack of water. Hubby and I got a set, and I am not likely to get another, I'll go back to top loaders next time.
I fully agree! I will never own a front loader again. Don't get me wrong, I like my set (Whirlpool Duet), but I've run into some issues;

1. Things that get too heavy/full of water do not spin out. This includes bathroom floor mats, horse blankets and one extra-large towel.
2. They all make more noise than top-loaders.
3. Not enough water to wash my shower curtains any more. :( Now I have to buy new ones instead of throwing them in with some comet.

My friend has the $3,000 Bosch washer and she does not have the problem with #1. I take my stuff over to her house to wash. However, her cold water intake has quit working and her unit is only 2 years old.
My parent's front load Maytags have all three issues, and they bought the top of the line units.

As much as a shake out my bedding a lot of hay still ends up in the machine and blocks the drain - I'm hoping to fix this.
Perhaps it is just your model? My mom washed our hay-ridden clothes for years and never clogged their 20 year old maytag set. I've washed all kinds of weird farm things in top-loaders and never clogged them. It may be that yours has a skinny drain. You can look for models that have a screen that you can clean that is easily accessible. I can also admit that shavings/hay will clog up a garbage disposal too. lol. They are no fun to take apart and clean.

My machine doesn't clog it empties into the utility sink just fine - then the sink drain clogs (as long as I empty the strainer evey load I'm OK (most of the time and thankful for the floor drain when the sink does over flow). People sugest those lint socks - but they fill up way too fast so I gave up on them.

I"m thinking a top loader is the way to go (and cheaper too)

I've never had a problem with my front loaders not doing the job. I have all sorts of settings though- silk, satin, delicate, hand wash, normal, quick wash, cotton, sanitize and heavy duty! I've never even used some of them. When I wash in the heavy duty cycle, the barrels spin so fast, it sounds like a jet taking off- so I've never experienced anything getting water logged. At first I was leary of the clothes not getting clean because of using less water, but I've been pleasantly surprised. When I wash my fleece liners though, I always add vinegar just to make sure.
I would buy front loaders again, JMO. I can definitely tell a difference in my water bill.

Latest posts

Back