Advice on my cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca1122

Charged By Chins.
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on my cage? (Sorry about the mess)

I know that the shelves are plastic and that I should not have those.
But, Oliver has not chewed them whatsoever. I also know that I have ramps and that they are not suggested, but it seems like a substantial distance for him to jump down/up from one level to another. And I don't know if he would be able to get to the top without the ramp...Any suggestions about that?

I was thinking of covering the shelves with fleece so I don't have to buy all new wooden shelves but they can be pricey..
Also, maybe I will get a few shelves to put around so I can at least take out the ramps.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks :)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 96
Chins are able to jump quite a distance, so I wouldn't be worried about the ramps. Do try to get some wood in there though. If you are still worried about the distance, put another large hammock in like you have at the top.

Chins are able to jump quite a distance, so I wouldn't be worried about the ramps. Do try to get some wood in there though. If you are still worried about the distance, put another large hammock in like you have at the top.

Thanks! I will get some wooden shelves, the only problem is that most places sell shelves for a certain length, and I need the shelves for a different length.
Is it okay, though, if I leave his shelves but also put in more wood shelves?
I will also try taking out the ramps so he can have some more fun in his cage anyway.

If you know anyone handy with a saw, buy some boards and cut them to your desired length get some washers and wood screws and you can do your own shelves, much more cost effective.

If you're unable to make them yourself, most vendors who make shelves are able to do custom lengths for you. Plastic is just scary to have in there. You never know when he may decide it looks yummy, and it can cause a pretty nasty impaction should he ever decide to chew it. Looks like a nice big cage so you have plenty of room to get super creative.

When my husband and I went to home depot to buy supplies to make the wood ledges, they actually cut the wood right there for us. All together I think it costed us 60 bucks to make at least 8 shelves

Thanks, everyone. I am going to get some wooden shelves made to replace the plastic shelves, but until then, I'm going to remove the ramps and put in some ledges that I have.

Back