Advice on giving medication? Getting bitten

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awesome Kristin

Hey guys. One of my chinchillas has bumblefoot. We got some medication from the vet. 2 syringes: one for pain, one for antibiotics. And some topical cream to put on his feet.

I held Oscar while my husband administered the stuff. Unfortunately Oscar has always been one to bite pretty hard all the time, and he makes no exception during medicine time.

Is there any advice for how to not get my fingers bitten? Would using the burrito method work like when you clip cat's nails or might that be too hot or traumatizing?

Also the vet told us he's overweight and that I should stop giving him pellets and only feed him hay. Is that normal?

Yes, use the burrito method, It is what I am currently having to do with my chin..

Don't keep Oscar wrapped up too long at a time, it it takes a long time then make sure to give him lots of breaks. Hold him firmly, but not too firmly.

Hope this helps.

Also, for the pellets, maybe cut down on the amount you are giving him.. I think pellets have important nutrients that he may need.. How much are you feeding him?

If your chin is on a good quality pellet with no added treats, hay and water it is not over weight. Vets are used to seeing skinny sick chins and rarely see a healthy one. Do not withhold pellets, chins do not need to diet.

Burrito,leather gloves for oral meds.For the foot cream,I have had best luck with holding by the tail and letting the chin keep front paws touching ground.That only works for the back feet though.If I'm using Blue Kote,i use a artist paint brush for accuracy!:)

Thanks, I'll try burrito method this time. I'm not too sure exactly how much he eats since he has a cagemate and I just have pellets in there all the time. It's Mazuri brand, but I do notice Oscar eats more than Charlie. It might just be because he's twice as big as Charlie. He weighs 640g.

They don't get many treats and I give them hay every 2 days or so.

I think the hay should be free flow and given everyday. I change out mine every day because mine like to pee on them sometimes and it gets a bit disgusting. Hay provides them with the fibre they need and also helps in wearing down teeth, especially the back molars.

Also, if your antibiotics is Baytril, you might want to watch his eating as that drug is famous for getting chins to stop eating. Just flagging it up as it might be hard for you to realise who's eating and who's not if there's 2 chins in the cage :)

640gm is not heavy in the least bit. They should have free choice hay and pellets. They enjoy looking for the perfect pellet and stalk of hay. And I know hey enjoy throwing the rest outside their cage. They don't have that much to do so I wouldn't withold that from them. He does not need to lose weight but if you ever do get an overweight chin feed them all the hay and pellets they want but get them a wheel for exercise or let them out in a chinproofed room for 15-20 mins.

Have you tried just giving him the meds without restraining him? I always dip the tip of the syringe in a bit of simethicone so they taste that and they usually willingly take the rest of the medication. All my chins take TMS (pink stuff) with no problems.

Thanks for the replies. Last night we did give him the syringes without holding him, but I did have to pick him up to do the cream on his feet. I was using a shirt to hold him with and there was an exposed part of my finger he got a hold of and really went in deep. I think I may get some thin leather gloves or something.

I'll keep an eye out for his eating. The cage is is in a room where my husband and I spend most of our time so we usually end up seeing how much they eat just by glancing over every now and then.

Bonus picture of Oscar at the vet:

0A7Kx.jpg

Back