advice help possible fur biting :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri101

I have had my chinchilla for over a month....( he was a pet store chinchilla and I felt so bad where he was )

he did always have this little patch in the back which was shorter....I know he has slipped a little few when he first got home....but the patch does not grow....

its shorter and there are no mats in the area....no skin issues...eating, pooping, running around fine....I have never caught him fur biting ....

Im worried I love my chin -chin I know some will fur bite for life but I am not even sure he is....he does not get wet, has dust baths, acts normal but I just get over worried as I am very protective of my pets.

Thank you

IMG-20120101-00265.jpg

IMG-20120101-00266.jpg

It does look like fur chewing, but a minor case. He may have chewed at the pet store due t stress. Some chins only chew when stressed, some chew constently, and others on and off for no aparent reason. Fur chewed spots do take longer to grow in than fur slips.

It does look like fur chewing, but a minor case. He may have chewed at the pet store due t stress. Some chins only chew when stressed, some chew constently, and others on and off for no aparent reason. Fur chewed spots do take longer to grow in than fur slips.

TY I had looked and looked at I am always watching him during the day and night ...he has lots of stuff he chews....wood....sticks....chew toys so I Know he is chewing those ( do teeth checks and those are good too)...I was worried since I have not caught him biting and was not sure if it was another problem.....the spot has not gotten worse or shown any signs of skin irritation...the cage they had him in the store was tiny and there was not one chew toy in it so I think he was a sad bored chinchilla ....I make sure he has lots to do in his cage I love him so much

Chewers will chew when you are not watching as I am sure you are not able to watch him 24/7. Also, it takes a long while for that area to grow out and it almost is never even afterwards unless you "pluck" the chewed area and it grows in completely new fur which he does not chew. Even that is controversial and he may continue to chew. If he is a pet and your intention is for him only to be a pet and to not breed or show then the chewing does not detract from his lovability. Continue to give him chew toys and a healthy diet and continue to love him.

Chewers will chew when you are not watching as I am sure you are not able to watch him 24/7. Also, it takes a long while for that area to grow out and it almost is never even afterwards unless you "pluck" the chewed area and it grows in completely new fur which he does not chew. Even that is controversial and he may continue to chew. If he is a pet and your intention is for him only to be a pet and to not breed or show then the chewing does not detract from his lovability. Continue to give him chew toys and a healthy diet and continue to love him.

I agree I dont have my eyes on him all day and when I sleep he could,be chewing...I will never breed nor show him I just gave him a lovable home so even if he is not perfect as long as I dont see him chewing skin or it getting worse I will amuse him with toys :) he loves willow sticks and loofah so I try tl switch his toys so he wont even be bored !!

TY for the input it really helps knowing as much as I can

Some chinchillas will even chew their fur when they feel board. Make sure you keep plenty of toys for him to chew on in the cage.

I have a girl Ivy when shes stressed or board she will chew. So I try to mix up their cage when I can. I notice she will chew less when she has more to do. Exploring a new cage or finding a new toy hanging up.

Some chins will sometimes chew if they are in pain. But if there are no signs of anything wrong then dont worry about the pain response.

Here is up close
100_2888.jpg

Here is farther away
100_2887.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back