Advice for Hair Ring Check (Would be first time! Help please!)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TmG

Carl's been acting very distant to me. D: it seems like weve gone back to the first time i ever got him! (Btw i didnt get him as a baby im his second owner!) Im afraid he has a hair ring and is uncomfrotable and i tryed to atleast do it today when i had him out but he squealed and i couldnt get him to hold still. Ive read some things and what seems to work is wraping them in a towel. The problem is nobody really wants to help me do it! Ive heard of people doing it themselves but i think im going to have somebody else atleast hold him. What i need is advice/tips! Ive seen a video but im still alittle worried. Is there anyway i could possiably hurt him by doing this? I heard bag balm will work for getting it back in but and out. Any advice or just telling me step by step how to do it will help! Thanks!

At first I was afraid of hurting my boys to, but now its much easier after doing it now for a few months. I put my boys on the table and hold them with their back against my chest and usually keep their butt/back on the table (I think they feel more secure with something under them). I put one hand kinda on their chest and hold one back foot with the same hand. With my free hand I use my palm to hold back the other foot and my fingers are free to do the check. I hope this makes some sense. Good luck, you'll get better at it!

My boy does not like to be held. I have not had him for long and he is not use to people so I've never been able to give him a hair ring check. Luckily i catch him giving himself a check. Would it be alright to do it with gloves on in case he bites?

Thanks so much. I may take him to a vet for a checkup and ask them to show me how to do it. Im sure he wont like me for a few weeks after it. He seemed up and happy this morning. He seems more reserved around 7:00 pm till 11:00 pm (after that he makes noises) but in the morning when i get up 6:00 am , he greets me and sticks his little nose out and stuff. Does anybody no whats going on? Could he be bored?

Just a quick note, you can use regular KY (not Bag Balm) to help with getting the ring off and getting the penis back in the sheath.

At first I was afraid of hurting my boys to, but now its much easier after doing it now for a few months. I put my boys on the table and hold them with their back against my chest and usually keep their butt/back on the table (I think they feel more secure with something under them). I put one hand kinda on their chest and hold one back foot with the same hand. With my free hand I use my palm to hold back the other foot and my fingers are free to do the check. I hope this makes some sense. Good luck, you'll get better at it!

This is essentially what I do too, only resting him on my lap instead. He's grumpy afterwards but just give him a little nibble on a treat and he's back to normal :)

You have to remember that they are a prey animal and the more you squeeze them the more they try to get away.I hold them by the tail with one hand with their belly towards me and then do the check with my other hands thumb and finger.

Latest posts

Back