Advice for Decorating.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Diva Chins

Alright folks, here's the deal.
I'm getting a FN 142 with the 143 attached next weekend. I'm stoked.
My budget for decorating is $50 at the moment. I've already spent $20 of that $50 getting 4 new shelves (I plan 2 in each level) and a Leaping ledge (I think that's what it's called, pardon me it's late) shipped. It was a steal and I'm very very proud. I even bought new water bottles to go in the cage, but that was before I set the budget so no worries. I figured someone might be able to help give me tips on what to decorate. So with $30 (Not including shipping) what should I get based on my chin's preference?

Bubbles will be going in the bottom level. She LOVES hammocks, but corner hammocks are too small for her, so I was thinking a regular sized, but does anyone think she'd enjoy having a double one to herself? She also needs a classy, dignified pattern, it matches her personality. I really think she'd enjoy a PVC pipe with the fleece covering, the fleece tube thingies, but has anyone had a gnawing issue with these? She isn't much of a wood chew fan, but does still chew, but that's not a must cause I already ordered toys for everyone. Does any one have any suggestions for my picky girl? I want her to live in the lap of luxury in her final years, she's old, and it is a must that she have nice things.

Aiko and Rini are insanely fond of chews. Although they have a hammock in their cage, they won't sleep in it. Never once have I found any evidence (Poo, urine, shavings, hay, etc) that they have slept in it, so I think that could wait. They have hidey houses to sleep in, but would rather sleep on a ledge for some reason...Any suggestions for these girls? They will be sharing an upper level due to being sisters (I keep spare cages on hand in case of fighting)

As for Doof, I plan to get her a FN here soon. She loves to chew, loves hammocks (But she, like Bubbles, is enormous and cannot fit into a corner hammock) and LOVES to destroy. When I first made her a hammock (Which despite it's enormous size, she still hung over sides) she tried to destroy it and when she figured out she couldn't, she finally decided to use it and adored it. I hated to take it out because it started looking ratty and nearly fell apart in the wash. She also loves Loofah, mainly the flavored kind. She does like hanging toys, but doesn't pay them as much attention as she does the toys that she can drag around, throw, etc. Any suggestions for her? She's not picky, but if she can destroy it in any way, she will.

And my guy, who has a seperate abode to himself and will stay that way, he's just more of a 'go with the flow' type. When I had a hammock in his cage, he never would use it, but I think it's because he couldn't figure out the corner hammock style. I'd like to invest in a regular hammock, but I'd rather find him some toys. He will not play with toys that hang for some reason, but will give lots of attention to regular floor toys. I was thinking a wheel would be a good investment, he's very active.

Right now, I mainly need suggestions for Bub bub, Aiko and Rini. Doof and my guy's cages come later, but I'd still like to see some suggestions :) Thanks everyone, I truly enjoy getting good advice from you guys but thought people who have owned chins 5+ years or so or had more experience in the toy making/accessory business might be able to cater to my chins more than I as far as ideas.

You say that you have a hammock for the sisters, perhaps try putting it in Bubbles cage for a while to see if she likes it? It might not match, but atleast that way you can try it out before spending money on something she won't like.

So far with my pvc tubes I haven't had any issues with the girls trying to get to the pvc. But pvc in general is a hard plastic so it'd be hard for them to chew through anyways.

You say that you have a hammock for the sisters, perhaps try putting it in Bubbles cage for a while to see if she likes it? It might not match, but atleast that way you can try it out before spending money on something she won't like.

So far with my pvc tubes I haven't had any issues with the girls trying to get to the pvc. But pvc in general is a hard plastic so it'd be hard for them to chew through anyways.

That's a good idea. I'll give it a try most definitely. You need to sell double hammocks Alli =P I've only seen corner and regulars with you and if you got them, I'd definitely buy one! I just had an idea...Since Bubbles likes huts and hammocks, maybe I could buy a corner house, the fleece kind? Are those hard for cleaning out poo and what not? Thanks =)

I've made double hammocks before :) But thanks for the idea to put them on the site, I guess I hadn't even thought of that.

I haven't had any issues with the houses. I just take them out and shake out the poop. Or you can just reach in and scoop it out. I've seen a lot of people put them over a shelf and then the chins really like them. Of course there's also the chins that like to sleep on the top of them lol

What size corner hammocks were you using? I find it hard to believe that she's too big for all of them. I make mine the same size as the triangle on the top and bottom of the corner house, and 2 chins can fit in a corner house.

I've made double hammocks before :) But thanks for the idea to put them on the site, I guess I hadn't even thought of that.

I haven't had any issues with the houses. I just take them out and shake out the poop. Or you can just reach in and scoop it out. I've seen a lot of people put them over a shelf and then the chins really like them. Of course there's also the chins that like to sleep on the top of them lol

What size corner hammocks were you using? I find it hard to believe that she's too big for all of them. I make mine the same size as the triangle on the top and bottom of the corner house, and 2 chins can fit in a corner house.

I was going to try and measure the one I have hanging up (Can't find the other, I washed them and they're hiding in a box) but when I opened the door Bubbles kacked at me. I moved her recently and she's still some what upset with me. She's really a hog though, so is Doof. The sisters can fit in them perfectly (When I lure them in, they just don't like hammocks, it's shocking). I'm proud of her for gaining good weight, she was tiny when I got her. Maybe I had it up too tight? I tried it different ways for Doof but she just couldn't lay down. I don't know why she's so big, I had pics of her on another thread, she's truly huge. I plan to get a scale and measure her. Ah, getting off subject. How big are the corner houses? They look big enough, I'm sure they should be able to fit.

They're about 20" across the front, 6" tall and about 9" from the front to the back corner.

I always find it funny how chins like different things. MuShu loves hammocks, either regular or corner. Kona and Mei will never use a hammock. And Chibi doesn't really like fleece houses but like tubes. And Kona and Mei love fleece houses. Funny how they all differ.

They're about 20" across the front, 6" tall and about 9" from the front to the back corner.

I always find it funny how chins like different things. MuShu loves hammocks, either regular or corner. Kona and Mei will never use a hammock. And Chibi doesn't really like fleece houses but like tubes. And Kona and Mei love fleece houses. Funny how they all differ.

So right, so right. I could give Bubbles apple chews and she will chew for a minute or so and go on. Doof will destroy. My guy will nibble for a while, then get distracted and my girls will have it gone in NO TIME! Doof isn't really focused on chewing, just destroying. I think she hates having nice things, hah.

Latest posts

Back