Advice for cage downsize

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillygizmo

My kids have 4 feety's
Hi all,

I just found out that I am moving and the chins will be in a smaller space than they are now. This means that I need to downgrade to smaller cages. I am really upset but I don't have a choice at the moment. I currently have two FN 142s and they are both split in two. I have five chins overall. The other chin is in a small frisky ferret, as he is still pretty young. With five chins who are not bonded, can anyone come up with a creative idea for a smaller set up without it being so small that it affects quality of life?

Thanks all..this is a stressful time.

I don't know how small their cages need to be, have you checked out the Quality Cage Townhouse or Condo?

Would it be possible to stack the FN's to make one of them a 3 story (buy an add on), and then have the other two in the other two level FN?

How large of a space do you think you will have available? Or a maximum for the cage sizes?
I'm going through the same thing (out of choice) and by looking around I have found you can purchase stacked/able cages that are sometimes geared towards other animals. (in example, rabbits)
The only issue with most of these stacked is the wire flooring. You can find small meshed, but some people are against putting their chins on wire flooring and some don't mind..so that would be personal preference..

It could easily be done by anyone who makes custom cages. There really is no way to downsize an actual FN142...I mean, you could split it in half but not sure if that'd be considered enough space by most pet people. Otherwise, a different cage is the only real option. One that is 3 cages high and one that is 2 cages high.

THEN, you could get a cage a bit smaller than an FN single unit, maybe 2'x2'x2' which would make one unit 2'x2'x6' and the other unit 2'x2'x4' which would give a "foot print" should you put them together, rough 2'x 4.5' accounting for a gap inbetween the two units.

As mentioned, it's easy to find stackable cages online...not nearly as easy to find them with solid bottoms though they're no harder to make at all. If you were close enough, I could make 'em for ya! But, well, that's a bit of a drive!

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am going to give it a shot to keep them the way they are for about a week (moving this week or next) and if I need to downsize I will need to order special. I would LOVEEE to have corner fit cages...but thats a bit particular and unrealistic. If I do need to downsize I am going to come back and ask about places to reach out too. If I do...I will have two FN 142 available ! : O

Latest posts

Back