Adopting dog from a rescue

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusieJJ

chinnies215
So I've succeeded at convincing my boyfriend that a dog would enhance our lives! YAY! But, he's on board for a small dog (bout 20 lbs MAX--imagine!). I found the most darling corgi mix on a rescue site and have been in contact. Filled out their application and emailed back and forth with the people a bit--now they're setting up a home visit! YAY!

What things are they looking for at said home visit?

I have some moving boxes still around.. will that make them not like me?! ah! I'm totally nervous about this home visit! But I was 100% honest in the application, so if they didn't like anything there they shouldn't be doing a home visit right?? So... any advice?

From what I remember from adopting my dachshund, home visits are to get to know you, your family, your home, your pets, and your over all lifestyle. Just make sure you pick up your house like you would with any company. Keep this in mind when cleaning, : what would you not want a stranger to see and judge you by? Show them any and all pets that you have, and your back yard. Explain what every day is like for you (works, school, anything) and what you plan to do with the dog while you are away. When we got our doxie from DRNA (Dachshund Rescue of North America) they did a home visit. We had literally just moved into that house 3 months prior to getting Bailey. My mom of course tried to tackle as many of them as possible so we didn't look like a slob, but still, they didn't really pay any mind to the boxes. If possible though, maybe put them in a closet?
Make sure you don't have any dog hazards lying around. Take it like this: If you were going to let your chin run around your entire house, what would you not want him to chew, eat, or get into. Same with a new dog, everything needs to be explored by them.
If you are in an apartment, make sure you check with the office to make sure dogs are, in fact, allowed, and have them sign off on a sheet stating that you have checked and show it to the person doing the home visit. I have heard of so many people on the last leg of adoption and they find out they can't have dogs in their apartment and everything is called off. Just plan ahead.
I'm sure your chins won't be a problem. They will probably have the dog check out the cage, but if it shows any fear or aggression, just assure them that you can keep the door closed to wherever they are. Since I was getting a doxie, they saw that I had stairs and told me that we needed to get a baby gate for the stairs. That didn't mean they were going to up and leave and tell us we couldn't have a dachshund just because we had stairs, they just explained that the stairs needed to be off limits due to their back problems.
As long as you were honest on the application, they should know everything about you. The home is just to see how the dog acts in your home.
Just don't worry about it. They are trying to find the dog a home, and if you just act like yourself, show them the everyday you, there should be no reason why you shouldn't get this dog. Good luck!

A lot of rescues look for a fenced in yard, but for some (especially dealing with smaller dogs that are going to be indoors) it is not a necessity.

I agree with Brittney - you just need to treat this like any other company. One thing they might look for is the location of cleaning supplies or other hazards. You might want to consider installing some child-proof fasteners on cabinets just to be safe. Make sure toilet seats are down, and be sure you show them where the dog will be spending a great deal of time; some like to see that a dog will have his or her own space to feel safe and for the period where they are being accustomed to their new surroundings.

Don't worry! If they are interested enough to do a house visit, just relax and enjoy the time. Answer questions truthfully, and make sure you emphasize how the dog will be a part of the family.

I wrote in my application that we don't have a fenced in yard--so they should know that :) My boyfriend's plan is to put a doggy door on the cellar door, so if he wants to run about a bit he can go to the cellar on his own---that is, if he doesn't go after the chinchillas! we can build a room for them down there anyway tho.

I hope they can find someone to do a home visit! They work out of Central CT and I live in Eastern MA! Keeping my fingers crossed!

I can't wait to get him and walk with him, take him to the dog park, sleep with him, brush him, play with him, take him to training classes! We'll be best buds!

Not having a fenced yard and having a doggy door is a terrible thing. A dog could easily take off or be stolen. Very dangerous. Even the most loyal of dogs are still dogs and will follow their breed traits and chase off after something and want to go exploring the neighborhood from time to time if allowed. And sadly so many small dogs are stolen all the time or are found stray and someone falls in love and never does anything to find former owners.

I only warn you as a shelter volunteer. We are even leary about electric fences and doggy doors too. It's a lot of risk in not having a fence with a dog door or even to use a tie out with no fence as someone might see cute dog let's take it.

Not having a fenced yard and having a doggy door is a terrible thing. A dog could easily take off or be stolen. Very dangerous. Even the most loyal of dogs are still dogs and will follow their breed traits and chase off after something and want to go exploring the neighborhood from time to time if allowed. And sadly so many small dogs are stolen all the time or are found stray and someone falls in love and never does anything to find former owners.

I only warn you as a shelter volunteer. We are even leary about electric fences and doggy doors too. It's a lot of risk in not having a fence with a dog door or even to use a tie out with no fence as someone might see cute dog let's take it.

Please re-read what I wrote: My boyfriend's plan is to put a doggy door on the cellar door, so if he wants to run about a bit he can go to the cellar on his own.

He can go to the CELLAR on his own. Not outside the house. Honestly, that's an appallingly stupid idea to me and I couldn't even imagine anyone doing that. Letting a dog go outside the house on his own without a fenced yard?? Even letting a 20 lb dog outside in a fenced in yard unsupervised seems really dumb to me. Like you say, there's people who will steal them, other animals that can and will get through or over the fence to a small dog.

This fence thing is getting a bit ridiculous too. Like I said, letting a small dog in a fenced area unsupervised is stupid, so they're not the be all end all to owning a dog. Nice walks, play time, plenty of exercise like that and a long tie and supervision (so noone, nothing takes/kills it or it chokes itself) is better than sending a dog out to a fenced area and not checking up on it for a while.

I misinterpreted what you said, sorry. It sounded to me that the dog door was coming from the cellar to outside...and sadly I wouldn't be surprised that someone wouldn't try that since heck I have heard some of the craziest things at the shelter. Someone tried to claim a dog must have shrank when he started to bring him inside over night when the temps got near 0 overnight. Then the guy didn't know when the last time he fed the dog was. :banghead: Yes I am sure the heat inside is what shrank your dog to being nearly a walking skeleton. Poor dog got pneumonia and was sick for at least a month in the shelter.

Sorry again for the misread. I just sadly have heard it all.

It's ok to not have a fence and have a dog...you are just going on lots of walks lol. I live in an apartment with a high energy dog. With winter coming I getting my layers ready for walks. And get some good rain boots for rainy days.

That's terrible! To claim his dog shrank! People really are weird... I guess I can see how you misinterpreted!

I think we'll start with a mile in the morning and a mile at night and see how he does with that. He seems to be of good energy! If he needs more we can go for longer walks! I'm pretty excited!

They found someone to do a home visit. I'm just waiting now to schedule it! Exciting!!! I need to get some cabinet locks for under the sink! Other than that I think everything should be pretty good! Except for a lamp I placed on the mantle just for now :p With that cord hanging the way it is I can see a dog knocking it over!

I can't wait to go out and get him a bed and toys and collar and leashes and all sorts of fun stuff!!! And to take him to training! Luckily there's a training/boarding place that's been around for a long time and has a great reputation within 3 miles of my house! If I ever needed to they have day care too--and they're licensed for it (not like the place recently that put a tiny dog in with 3 huge ones and the little one got killed :( And the vet is about 3 miles away too!

Now for probably a stupid question---do you take a dog you just got from a rescue to the vet right away? Just to get rechecked and everything? And build a rapport between the vet and the dog (and me!)?

It would be a good idea to take the dog to the vet. The rescue society should have any dog in their care up to date on shots and keep it in good health, but it wouldn't hurt anything to check a few vets out.

When I moved here to AZ it took about 3 vets to find one we really liked.

My doxie has a history of Mast Cell Tumors which is a form of cancer. He started forming another bump about 3 years ago which was right after his first tumor removal surgery. We instantly took him to the vet when we found it for a biopsy. Luckily, it is just a benign fatty tumor that doesn't cause any harm. We get it checked each time he goes to the vet just to be on the safe side. Well the first vet we went to didn't even bother to look at Bailey's records from the other vet and paid no attention to the fatty bump on his stomach. We asked him to biopsy the bump like we had asked back in NC each time he visited the vet and the vet just looked at us and said "what bump?" When we pointed it out he looked very shocked and biopsied it. Of course, it came back as still being fatty tissue, but we never went back to that vet for his careless mistake. The second vet we went to basically told us that "if he has a history with mast cell tumors that we just need to go ahead and put him down for his own good” He has only had 2 in the 5 years I have had him and the 15 years he has been living. I basically told the vet to go suck an egg (to put it politely) and never returned to him. We found a vet up in Cave Creek which is about 30 minutes away, but totally worth it. He read Bailey's records in the room with us and went over them with us to confirm everything. He did an overall check for bumps and lumps on him and biopsied his stomach bump without us asking. We love him. There is also a highly recommended chinny vet there that I have my boys in the database with just in case, even though they already have a vet. Moral of the story, never stick with one vet. You may just find one that you like way more than the first. If you don't like the vet, there is no point in staying with them. I'm in school to become a vet and I keep that in the back of my head all the time. I do my best in class and I remember that not only are you taking care of the animals, but you are also taking care of the humans as well.

Good luck!

Keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that you get this dog!

Latest posts

Back