Adopted 4yr old Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srlampron

poop hunter/gatherer
Hello,

This is my first time on here. :) I adopted a 4 year old female homozygous beige chinchilla a few days ago and she's just gorgeous. We adore her. She doesn't feel the same about us. We are her third family (at least) and the previous families did not socialize her or play with her. She hates being touched so much, we've already seen Fur Slip!!!

I love my little Lilly Belle and would do anything to help her trust that we will not harm her. Would she be better off with a companion chin or is that asking for trouble??

What can I do? I'm slowly trying to gain her trust one step (and raisin) at a time but I'm worried she's been so neglected, she may never trust me.

Any advice/thoughts??

Thank you!!

Lots and lots of patience is the best advice for socializing your girl. She needs to feel safe in her new environment and that takes time. Spend time near her cage talking with her, reading to her and singing to her. All my chins love it when I sing.

Chins should only have one treat a day and don't need any treats. However I've found one treat that works especially well in making friends with chins. It is old fashioned oatmeal. The oatmeal must be old fashioned NOT quick cook oatmeal. Quick cook oatmeal causes digestive problems that can result in death.

A chin can have 1/3 teaspoon full of old fashioned oatmeal per day. No other treats should be given. Put some oatmeal in palm of your hand and offer it to your girl. Be patient with her and wait until she will eat it from your palm. Once she eats it she should be much more accepting of you. Do not give her more oatmeal than indicated per day.

I would sit by mines cage and talk to them and when I would let them out for playtime I would lay on the floor but let me add that this took months for them to trust me and even still I could get kisses, scratch them and pet them but they did not like me picking them up and during playtime they would jump all over me and play games with me so it just takes time :) congrats on your new baby :)

It's great that you are giving her a forever home, congratulations on your new addition!

Thank you everyone! I will be getting some oatmeal for Lilly tomorrow. I have been sitting next to her cage and talking to her. I will try reading to her and singing too. I won points today with timothy hay. I'm not sure how long its been since she's had it, but she was thrilled. Thank you all.

Lilly and I will let you know how we are doing.
-Stacy

I think we need pics of Lilly!!! :D

Patience is key with gaining her trust. Just give her time, and let her come to you on her own terms, that works best.

time, patience, and lots of love. three ingredients for bonding with your chin :))

my boys have been home with me for over a year now. while Guss is my lovey boy (since day one), Rhino still likes things pretty much on his terms. it takes time, and your Lilly Belle will come around.

if this is your first chin, i would just have her for a while, and not consider getting other chins until you are well versed in chin care and have a special bond with her. i had Rhino about 6 months or so when Guss came home. remember that not all chins will get along with each other, so separate cages may be a necessity for the life of additional chins you bring home.

no raisins for chins, they are much too high in sugar content and are not good for their sensitive digestive systems. old fashioned oatmeal, as mentioned, is a great treat. unfrosted shredded wheat is another. i give my boys half a spoon sized piece every now and then. chins don't need treats, we just feel compelled with the need to give them treats. one treat that is absolutely awesome is organic rosehips - high in vitamin C and chins need that.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are already on the right track...I think my female chin took several weeks to grow accustomed to my crazy household and to begin to get comfortable with me. Patience really does pay off and she went from a chin who didn't want to be touched, to a chin who loves to snuggle with me. Have fun with her and enjoy her company and soon she will come around.

And I agree with the others, we need PICS! :)

Thank you so much for the tip on the rosehips. We gave the raisins to the kids and got some oats. Should Lil be taking any supplements/vitamins?

Lilly had her first playtime in the bathroom last night and was very happy. She is starting to relax a little here. I think we will bond eventually. I know it. I think she is starting to like me at least a little. :) I will post a picture asap.

She won't need any suppliments or "vitamins" (which are useless anyway) as long as she is on a good quality chin pellet (no seeds or treats in the mix, just pellets) and gets fresh loose timothy hay every day.
Has anyone mentioned the water issue to you yet? Don't use tap or any unfiltered waters, you will need to either buy spring water or reverse osmosis water, or get a PUR Stage 3 filter.

And my Sally took over a YEAR to decide to trust me, just to give you an idea of how stubborn they can be. She'd been manhandled at a pet store for a while, and was really skittish. I just decided that I loved her enough for both of us, and I went on about my business of being her mama, and eventually she decided I wouldn't eat her.
;)

A few days is nothing in the life of a chin. Be patient and do what you are doing, she will come around eventually.

Lilly is warming up to me. Oats, dust baths and bathroom "happy time" is helping out a lot.

We did discover that she is something of an escape artist. She has figured out how to wiggle out of a cage with 1" bar spacing. Her new cage with 3/8" should be here tomorrow. Two mornings in a row we found my little fluff ball under the couch. Heaven only knows what kind of frolicking she did during the night.

We ordered Critter Nation and a new wheel. She is coming around. I love it when she really lets me hold her. I think I am starting to think like a real chin mommy, though. We were at a local amusement park and there were tons of rosehips on the opposite side of the fence we were waiting in line near. All I could think about was getting over the fence to get some for Lilly Belle. I think I may have an issue. Happily, though! Thanks again to you all!

First, congrats on being a new chin mommy. It so nice to hear that she has warm up to ya. Sounds like she is going to be spoiled! You such a great mommy for gettin her a FN. Have u post pictures of Lilly yet? If not please do! We would love to see her.

Setback........

We have had a tremendous setback in our bonding and trusting. Lilly was doing so well. She seemed to enjoy me holding her and petting her. Almost snuggling into me a couple times a day. And I was loving it.

Last night I put my hand in her cage to hold her and she back up into her hidey house, and made her first sound since coming to live with us. It was the sound that, through research, I discovered means "I'm annoyed! Leave me alone!" I have been somewhat concerned about her for a few days because she has been napping a lot and seems bored.

So, this morning I scooped her up for snuggles, as is our recent routine. She laid on my chest, put her ears back and peed all over me.

I know I have pushed her too hard, and we are at square one. Will she start over with me? is this a lost cause? Help us!:cry3:

You were asking for a picture. I hope that this one works.

photo.php

congrats on getting your first chin :)

i am having to do the same thing right now with one of my girls .. she is not liking the idea of touching her but we are working on it .. they do get floor time and my one chin is all over me wanting to get into everything I am doing while her cage mate will come up to me but it has to be on her terms and no touching .... yet

Congrats on your new baby.
She's going to be soo spoiled!! It's going to take time but it's soo exciting and a feel good factor when she finally trust you. just keep doing what you are doing.

My Chico loves being petted through the bars but It took chico a while to let me go into her cage to pet her. She use to spray (pee) at me when i went into her cage to even feed her. She still doesnt like being picked up. Now she lets me pet her inside her cage.

Good luck with your new baby. :)

No the picture didn't come out. :(

Sorry to hear about Lilly. Just give her time to warm up again don't try to hurry her to trust you. Just stick you hand in and talk with her eventually she will be ready to come up to u on her own. I am sure u already know that. Just don't give up. :)

You were asking for a picture. I hope that this one works.

photo.php

Latest posts

Back