Adjusting to new cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

How long has it taken your chins to adjust to a new cage? How did they act? Anything I should do or watch out for?

In our experience, they've been quite energetic right after the move, trying to explore every last inch of the new cage - probably for the first day or so. Then they'll generally settle down and start to get back into a normal routine. It may take a good week or so for them to really get comfortable bounding around the new cage again. One issue we ran into with one of our boys is that he got stress-induced diarrhea from the move (he's very sensitive to change), so just keep an eye out for normal eating/drinking/peeing/pooping.

It depends with mine... When I rearrange the boys' cage, they're eager to explore every new thing. But when I just cleaned Suki's cage and added a couple of flower pots (without moving anything else in her cage), she got all surly and unfriendly until she was more used to it. I really think it just depends on the chinnie. If they do get cranky over the change, they'll snap out of it pretty quickly. :)

I have to agree with ristarwan. I say that because if I rearrange or switch chin-chin cages, he's just like..oh oh a new cage or new items and just goes checking everything out. While yesterday I added some new shelving in Bo's cage and he was kind of like, weary...It didn't last long, but he certainly didn't go hopping around checking things out like chin does.

Jean

Back