Adding chins!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

I was given the opportunity to add a bonded pair to my family, they are 2 1/2 and 3 year old standards. (I only have one single 7 year old mosaic chin right now) We're going to have all boys, I'm double checking too- I don't want any unplanned kits! I know some people have made mistakes before. I know the two new boys need a month of quarantine before joining Yuki in the chin room, separate room, washing hands, etc. I'm planning on everybody staying as they are- I'm not even considering a trio or intros until I know the two new chins much better and have bonded with them myself. I'm planning on bonding with them like I did Yuki- be around a lot in non-threatening ways. Like sitting next to the cage reading and be quiet and still and stuff like that.

Just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for new quarantines or new arrivals. Anything you wish you knew before going in?

I've got nine chins, all boys, and all introduced to my chin room over several months after quarantining. There was the inevitable bouncing around cages, and vocalising for a few days, but no major problems.

Got the boys- they actually slept in the carrier in the car, like I've heard chins typically do. Yuki always goes crazy and tries to chew his way out. So far these two are really social, sweet, and laid back. They come right up to my hands and let me pet them. Havent tried picking them up yet.
I took out the ramps they came with (double level critter nation but still plastic shelving and the stuff they come with) I didnt want to change too much the first few days, but I don't want them getting hurt either. The boys were confused how to jump levels, but I knew they could- they have a house just as high they were constantly jumping on. I added some extra wooden ledges and moved things I saw they knew how to jump onto close to the half shelves and they've already got the hang of it. One learned going up easy and the other figure out down but both took a while to figure out the other way. I gave them plenty of different chews and if they're awake they're chewing away.

One has a bit of a sharper sound chewing, particularly on poplar. I didnt know if that could be a sign of anything, or if it just a a natural variance like their voices.
I also added some fleece to one level- again, I dont want to do a bunch right away, but I fret about safety and they've seemed fine and unstressed so far. The one LOVES it. he sort of digs at it and then lays out on his side cuddling into it. SOOO cute.

Also, the boys came with a Leo Braun wheel (i think- they got it as a present and didnt know, but thats what it looks like). They said there was a washer a bolt they had taken off for moving, but it seems to stay on the cage together and move fine. If anyone has one and could show me pics of how the hardware should look Id appreciate it.

It sounds like they're doing great!! Congrats on your new additions. :))
Please share pictures soon! :heart5:

Well my phone takes horrible photos (its an old flip phone) so until I can steal Kyle's for a photo op, here's what my webcam can do. It's nap time after a long night of making sawdust.
1618695_10200348760838510_3457815480893779082_n.jpg

Snuggled into fleece on his side and under the wheel seems to be a favorite spot.

a few more pics- one of the boys is skittish, normal for a chin in a new place with new people. The other isnt phased at all. He's hopping all over me, sitting for minutes for scritches, totally fine and chill. Hard to get the pics with him trying to check out the computer and his buddy trying to bolt every time it clicks. My webcam sucks for chin pics, 99% are just blurs :)

photo.php

photo.php

10985168_10200348926602654_5333977606716868774_n.jpg

Its a nice set up there. Tho i do have to question the wheel and the blue hay ball thing. Iv seen pics of chins getting there heads squeezed into them and then stuck, which is obviously not a good scenario. And the plastic wheels are usually not good for them. Not only being plastic but it will arch your chins spine in a unnatural position which can cause problems. - Its hard to tell from the back, but it looks like the type of wheel im talking about. And a chin hiding there head under it so close makes me nervous.

They look like quite the friendly chins tho!

Yeah- the hay ball is going asap, I hate that it's in there now. They just haven't been eating much hay at all since they've been here so I've left it for now. It's placed where I hope they wont get on top or bounce off it.
The wheel is powder coated metal, not plastic. I'm pretty sure it's a Leo Braun. I asked but the former owners werent sure. (http://www.chinworld.com/sitemap/prods/CW030006.html)
I appreciate the concerns :)

There's a lot of work I'll be doing to the cage. I cant wait to get the plastic shelves out too, but I'm trying to be patient since it seems like they've only ever used ramps and it's still a new home.

Oh the wheel is definitely a Silver Surfer - powder coated and good quality - I have the same one. It's totally safe as long as you keep it at least 3" from each corner to prevent anyone accidentally being squished if they jump on the top and slide down. Glad to see they're settling in well!

Last edited:
I didn't know the silver surfer came in not-silver (this is white). Looking online I see they've got a blue one. That goes straight on the unreasonable wishlist- everyone has a wheel but now I want them in colors.
One thing Im still concerned about is that they dont seem to be eating a lot of hay. They're pellet hogs for sure, I'd say about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup daily between the two, so they should be getting plenty of food. I know they were free fed both before, or I'd be guessing they were just happy to have more pellets. Still on the same food they came with... I dont know if it's still part of the move or what. I know eating hay is necessary to grind down back teeth. My biggest thought is that they've been chewing like crazy since they got here and didnt seem to have many chews- just one torn up wooden house. Could they just have longer front teeth to wear down with chew toys right now so they don't feel like eating hay to wear down the back ones?
I don't know how much of an issue this is. I know its important long term if they don't have hay, but while still settling in I don't know what to do. I did give them a bit of Yuki's hay to see if they just didn't like the stuff they came with, but they weren't really interested in that either.

I would try different brands of hay, and different cuts. Timothy hay is the most fundamental hay for them, and should always be on hand - but I have known of picky chins that need specific brands or certain cuts that they enjoy munching more than others. Maybe some experimentation will help, you could add in some variety such as orchard grass and oat hay into their Timothy base and see if it encourages consumption.

Latest posts

Back