Add Three More Chins from California

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoSerene

Hello Everyone!

I recently acquires a mating pair of chins, one female albino and a male standard. I've been told that Mochi, the female is around 2 years old and the male, Fez (Dr Who fans) is around 4 years old. They surprised us with a kit on May 19th that I believe is male. We named him Pringle. I believe he is considered a Sapphire, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm that.

Attachments

• Fez.jpg
    Fez.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Mochi:Fez.jpg
    Mochi:Fez.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Pringle.jpg
    Pringle.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 26
There is no albino chinchilla mutation. There is white mosaic or PW, and variations like eb/white (fancy name for a mosaic), but no albino. The kit looks like a PW like it's mom, but can't tell for sure either because of the lighting of the picture or my monitor.

Tunes is right about the colors. For the sake of your chins and future chins you may breed please find a good show breeder in your area who will mentor you and teach you the proper way to breed chins. That way not only will you learn the proper names for the colors and how to identify them you will learn how to sex and most of all how to breed QUALITY chins. Good luck

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I guess I thought she was albino because she has pink eyes. What color should she be classified as when she is all white with pink ears and pink eyes? I don't know what PW means...I joined this board in an effort to learn the best way to take care of them and appreciate all the friendly feedback.

I rescued the male/female pair from someone who did not know how to take care of them and was smoking in the house, they were living in filth, never got hay or any outside time, so I am doing the best I can. I never intended to breed.

Should these two not breed again? I thought I read that this variation was okay...I'm not really interested in breeding them anymore, I even took the female to a small animal vet who told me she wasn't pregnant when she was. But the male and female are very bonded, so I'm a bit conflicted. Obviously I took the male out after the kit was born and they haven't been together since.

She is a pink white. No, they should not breed again. They will continue to do so if you put them back together. Whatever sex the kit is, you can put it with the same sex parent and consider getting a same sex cage mate for the other if you really want them to have a friend.

Keep in mind chins do fine alone and do not always accept a new cage mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol! Obviously they will continue to breed if I put them back together. Why should I not breed them? Is there a risk to the kits because of their types?

Well, some people don't seem to think that they will, so I always put it out there ;)

You shouldn't breed them because they have unknown backgrounds. You could be breeding chins that are carriers of malocclusion and other genetic diseases. In order to breed responsibly, just like with any animal, they should be pedigreed and show quality. Not to mention the vast amount of things that could go wrong with breeding- dystocias, etc. Check out the breeding horror stories on this forum. It's not something to be taken lightly.

Latest posts

Back