Acting weird

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadebf700

Buddy seems kind of scared of me today. I tried to pick him up and he kind of freaked out. He usually shakes some but he has never freaked out like this before. He also seems to be going in between his legs some and sometimes actually pulls something out and eats it. Almost like he is eating his poo. Lastly, he is not as active as usual. I have not yet checked for hair rings because he still isn't comfortable with me holding him. Any ideas on what might be causing him to act like this?

Buddy seems kind of scared of me today. I tried to pick him up and he kind of freaked out. He usually shakes some but he has never freaked out like this before. He also seems to be going in between his legs some and sometimes actually pulls something out and eats it. Almost like he is eating his poo. Lastly, he is not as active as usual. I have not yet checked for hair rings because he still isn't comfortable with me holding him. Any ideas on what might be causing him to act like this?

How long have you had him? If not long, he needs to get use to you, household noises, habits, smells etc. You need to be patient and give him the time to adjust to you.
It is normal for a chin to eat his poo.

I am sure you will be getting more input for the other members

He seems to be going in between his legs some and sometimes actually pulls something out and eats it. Almost like he is eating his poo.
I have not yet checked for hair rings because he still isn't comfortable with me holding him. Any ideas on what might be causing him to act like this?

#1 Sounds like he is putting his penis in his mouth, normal male chin behavior, but it could signify that he already has a hair ring and is trying to remove it himself, or he may be simply enjoying himself. Only one way to find out, you need to do regular checks, every month is enough for most boys, some need it every week
#2 He will NEVER get comfortable with you holding him for hair ring checks. Try to have an extra person to help you. Keep asking if you still have questions

It is completely normal and necessary for chinchilla's to eat their cecal pellets! Don't worry!
Sometimes chins have bad days too. They have their own personalities just like people, so give him another day or two and see how he's doing. Best thing to do is to just be patient and give him a little space. Good luck!

Chins do eat their own poop, so that was probably what he was doing. As far as him being scared, did you happen to pet another animal or use a different soap? They have a very good sense of smell. Maybe you smelled like something unfamiliar to him? My chins will act all crazy like that if they smell something unusual on me.

Chins do eat their own poop, so that was probably what he was doing. As far as him being scared, did you happen to pet another animal or use a different soap? They have a very good sense of smell. Maybe you smelled like something unfamiliar to him? My chins will act all crazy like that if they smell something unusual on me.

Believe it or not, I changed my pants and he got a little more friendly...

Back