acidophilus

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymilo

i asked my boyfriend to pick up some acidophilus from the health food store...and the one that he brought back is milk-free acidophilus supplement called "sensi-dophilus" the description on the back says "for those sensitive people who prefer a pure but potent strain of acidophilus that is not lactose-based. nature's plus is pleased to offer lactobacillus acidophilus grown, cultivated and carried in a base of pure carrot powder"....it has 2 billion viable cells...and other ingredients include: natural carrot powder, microcrystalline cellulose, silica, vegetable cellulose, and purified water...is this safe since it has carrot powder?

I'm not really sure about the carrot powder. I know vegetables are discouraged because of all the water and the fact they can cause bloat... not sure about just the powder.

Are the pills in a capsule form, so you can sprinkle it on their food/oats? Also, its always best to find the acidophilus with the highest cell count. I heard that around 10 billion is what you should aim for, since a lot of the bacteria is killed when going through the stomach acid.

it is in pill form with the powder inside...and it was the highest count he could find...will it not serve its purpose with only 2 billion?

thats what i am unsure of too i don;t know about the carrot powder?

I guess it depends on how often its given as well. Daily vs. weekly. You can't OD on it, so it can be given daily, which happens in most cases when chins are sick.

I believe the ones I have are 5-6billion. I couldn't find up to 10 either.

Back