acidophilus?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mittens, Ph.D.

Hi!

I'm putting together my first aid kit, came across acidophilus powder as something that should be included. I know it's a probiotic, but that's all I can find out in relation to chin health.

Can someone tell me:
1 - what product(s) with acidophilus they recommend
2 - when to administer it and how much to give/dosage?

Thanks!

Acidophilus is a probiotic that aids in digestion and stomach issues. It is necessary if a chin is on an antibiotic, because the medicine kills the good bacteria as well as the bad.

It is helpful when switching feeds, or changing homes, anything that would upset a chin's sensitive digestive tract.

You can sprinkle it in their food, or dissolve in some water and give with an eyedropper. You can't overdose it.

It is best to get it in capsule form, with the count at least one billion. You can find it in the vitamin aisle in stores.

Acidiophilus can be just bought that way, with no other stuff with it.

You can give it daily, weekly, or bi-weekly as a preventative as well as stressful or sick times. You can not give too much acidophilus.

Thank you both! I'll go hunt some down next time I'm at the drug mart!

I buy mine from an organic grocery store, and it is in the vitamin/supplement section in the fridge. It is a wafer that you can easily break in half or into fourths.

I asked this question on CnQ but I'll post it on this one too. Has anyone had any bad experiences with acidiophilus?

Back