AC unit size and temp

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbodgrl

Zoo Keeper
I picked my little girl up last night :dance2:

I'm realizing now maybe I should have set up the AC unit in that room before yesterday so I could mess around with the settings. I bought it last summer from craiglsist and the girl said she used it for less than a month. It looks new.

My chins room is 12x10 or 12x12 I think. The unit is 5000 BTU. It is only in the low 70's and today it will be in the high 70's. The room is currently 64 and at this point I think it will stay in a fine temperature zone, although as we get higher temps I'm not sure. I have different units I could put in there. I haven't put any of my other ones in the house yet.

Just curious if as temps get higher you guys notice having to change your AC settings.

What temp to you leave your rooms at in the summer?

I keep my chin room right around 68 in the summer and adjust if it gets up to 70 degrees.

With only one chin you should be fine with that size of unit, considering you are still at 64.

I run between 30-45 chins in my 12x12 barn and I bought this Programmable outlet thermostat last year - best $34 I've ever spent. It is far more accurate than my 15,000 btu unit's gauge and since it can sit across the room (via high voltage extension cord) it keeps the room more evenly cooled.

Due to climate I needed something that would go down to 70 at night to combat the humidity and swing up to 76 during the day to keep my walls from sweating. It works great and comes back on after power failures. I was able to pull two of my dehumidifiers out (they produce heat) so I'm really happy with it.

I'm looking at getting another in a few weeks when I have to put my secondary a/c in. It was 98 with the heat index yesterday. When it starts getting into the 100's I put in a secondary 10,000btu for a failover and to help when it gets above 115.

During the spring/fall I do gradually adjust them to heat/cool more or less as the temps rise and fall.

Last edited:
With only one chin you should be fine with that size of unit, considering you are still at 64.

I run between 30-45 chins in my 12x12 barn and I bought this Programmable outlet thermostat last year - best $34 I've ever spent. It is far more accurate than my 15,000 btu unit's gauge and since it can sit across the room (via high voltage extension cord) it keeps the room more evenly cooled.

Due to climate I needed something that would go down to 70 at night to combat the humidity and swing up to 76 during the day to keep my walls from sweating. It works great and comes back on after power failures. I was able to pull two of my dehumidifiers out (they produce heat) so I'm really happy with it.

I'm looking at getting another in a few weeks when I have to put my secondary a/c in. It was 98 with the heat index yesterday. When it starts getting into the 100's I put in a secondary 10,000btu for a failover and to help when it gets above 115.

During the spring/fall I do gradually adjust them to heat/cool more or less as the temps rise and fall.

That thing looks cool! At this point I am almost worried about her getting too cold :cold: :unsure: I thought it was a good idea that I was working overtime and long shifts for the 3 days following her arrival so I wouldn't be tempted to "bug" her too much, but it also means I don't have time to mess with temps, etc. As I am paranoid about her getting too hot! I am on vacation for 10 days so then I can mess with adjusting the temp around. Maybe I should get one of those outlets.

Latest posts

Back