AC for LA area?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

I have been looking for an AC that will cool the room my chinchilla(s) will be in; however, my parents REALLY aren't fans of the window units or portable units with exhaust pipes because it creates a weak point for people to break into the house. I was thinking about getting an evaporative cooler, but I keep getting mixed reviews about their efficiency in the LA area. Any ideas?

I'm in southern California. This is a dilemma, especially since it has been so hot lately. I know you said you're parents are not fans of the window units, but I have found that is the only way to go that gives me peace of mind. I live in a shady neighborhood, but we put a pole in the window. Honestly, if some one is going to go to the bother of ripping the ac unit out, they would probably just as likely just break your glass.
I got mine at Big Lots for under $200. I think it's the only option for us here in SoCal.
-L

I strongly suggest the wall unit. I lived in a third floor apartment in LA and that worked well. All of the first floor units had them as well. I lived in an area with an urban feel and there were never any safety concerns. I would try that.

Hillary

Evaporators don't cool the air. It just takes the humidity out. If temp is the problem there is NO substitute for a ac unit. There are ways to secure a window with a portable unit. The exhaust pipes only open a window 4ish inches and you can use metal bars or wood to secure the window from being opened more.

AC is probably the best option for you. We were in Las Vegas in late September. We went to Target out there and found some ac units. I purchased a 5000 btu for $50. for a friend and a 8000 btu for $80. as a spare. My friend lives on the bottom floor of an apartment and not the greatest neighborhood. I noticed that a lot of the apartment complex has window units.

Snickers, what models did you get? I'd love to get an AC for that price.

I don't remember. Just go to Target to see if they have any more left or call. We were just lucky that they had some in stock.

I agree, window AC is the best. I want to make note that evaporative coolers actually do not work by taking moisture out of the air. In fact, in dry climates, they have the nice benefit of adding moisture into the air. So that is something to think about. But also, they have a limited cooling range so may not actually be able to reduce the air temperature as much as you need it to...which is another reason you really need a window unit.

Would a portable unit work as well as a window unit? I think I could convince them that a portable unit would be OK given that the amount the window would be open such a small amount. Also, my parents don't like the asthetics of a window unit because they think it will look ugly facing the outside where people can see.

I personally love the portable units that sit on the floor....window units can be heavy. BUT, they are quite a bit more expensive, so keep that in mind. Good ones are a minimum of $300 typically.

It stinks not having total say over it, I'm sorry. I think the portable would work, as long as you had good curtains, kept the chin out of direct sunlight, and kept your chin in a smaller room with the door shut (that way the unit does't get over worked). I'd test it out with a room thermometer before relying on it though. Save the receipt and packaging so that way if it doesn't bring the temp down enough, you (or your parents) won't be out the money for a portable AND a wall unit.
You need to get something. A chin can live up to 20years, so it really is an investment to get the right cooling unit.

Latest posts

Back