Absolutely Thrilled!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinHedgies

So I know many people on these forums are against breeding...but I have to share my excitment! I have two hedgies - Hannah and Harrold - both are IHA registered (I am a member too), 5 generation pedigreed, ensured against WHS, and have absolutely wonderful personalities. I have a mentor (breeder of the male) and have done a ton of research. Anyways now that that's out of the way - My Hannah had three perfect hoglets Friday morning!!! I am so excited and thrilled to have healthy hoglets and mama. I will post pictures when its safe to take some. :) I love hearing them squeak and move about in their nest - I could sit for hours by the cage in silence just listening. And it is definately hard to not peek (I doing a good job resisting though). Well that's it, I'm just bursting with pride and joy :)

Congratulations. Resiting the urge to peek, oooo and ahhh over babies is rough.

People on the forums are not against breeding when it is done responsibly, ethically, and by people who have researched, are knowledgeable and have experience with the species before breeding. What we are against is those who breed pet store or rescue or own the animal for 5 minutes and then decide to breed.

Congratulations on the babies. :clap1: Babies are so adorable and it is very difficult to resist peaking.

Unfortunately after posting this when I did my nightly check (filling the food and water) I discovered something terrible...one baby has issues :( He has some what looks like superficial injuries to his back leg, and one of his front feet is completely black and the leg is swollen. I believe that his superficial injuries came from when he was born. And after consulting with my mentor and sending her some pictures we concluded that he has circulation issues in the front leg and the foot is dead. This could have happened prior to birth and he may be underdeveloped internally. At 5 days old he doens't have much of a chance. I can't take him away from mom - she is in charge for the first 3+ weeks. I am crushed. If he survives I will be keeping him and having his front leg amputated once he is old enough. There are things that can't be controlled and it is heartbreaking to know that I can't do anything at this point.
On a positive note the other two hoglets are fat and healthy. And thankfully my mama hedgie is very tame and patient, I didn't touch any of the hoglets but I did have to take a couple of pictures and she didn't even huffle. I am so proud of her! If anyone would like to see a picture of the hoglets front leg please PM me and I will send one. I don't want to post anything due to that fact that people may find it graphic.
Thank you for all the kind words!!

OK so this picture may be considered graphic.

Look at the hoglets front foot - it is completely black and the leg is swollen. If anyone has seen anything like this before and can offer me some advice it would be much appreciated.

It looks to me like there may be a thread or hair wrapped around the leg. I think there is too straight a line between dead and living tissue to be a wound or bite.

My concern is that he goes septic but at his size, I'm not sure the vet could do much. If he were mine, I'd consult the vet by phone and see if there is anything that can be done although at this point, doubtful.

The leg may fall off or mom may chew it off. I've heard of babies surviving after mom chewed off a leg, and ones that didn't make it. How old are they now?

Sending the wee one lots of prayers.

:( Now that sucks. We will keep our quills crossed here that he will continue to thrive though and will live a long life on 3 legs.

I would like to encourage you to post an image though. If you visit the chinchilla side there are a lot of very graphic images of birthing complications. They add them to show others what can happen during breeding and to help each other out. Just create a new thread and give it an appropriate title to warn folks of what it contains. Add something like graphic image included.

Nancy - I also immediately though something must be wrapped around the leg - I even took a magnifying glass and examine the leg without touching the hoglets - there is nothing... The hoglets were born sometime last Friday early morning so they are 6 days old today. There is nothing a vet can do right now, I have to wait for the baby to at least be weaned and then be strong enough to withstand surgery (amputation). Thank you for the prayers - they are much needed for this little guy - he seems like a fighter though!!!
Kalandra - I did post the only good picture I have of the leg. I am being careful with when I check on the babies to ensure I don't stress Hannah.

That was weird, when I posted that part of the message wasn't there. In fact this whole second page wasn't. Oh well, the forum likes to make me look like I'm batty.

Back