Absolute lowest temperature?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinsChins

Can anyone tell me the lowest comfortable temp for the chinnies? Right now, my chin room is at 60, but it has been getting lower and I could see it getting down to 35-45 in the next few weeks. Getting a heater won't be a problem at all, but I am curious as to the answer. Thanks!

You have kits. 35-45 is not safe for kits. I keep my chin barn at 55 during the winter. 50 with adults is okay (and they really do like it), but I would start to panic with kits.

I should add that my kits are in a completely seperate part of the house that stays around 70 at the highest and 65 at the lowest. What are some downsides of lower than 50?

I would imagine the "downsides" would be similar to other living creatures who get too cold lower immune system, illness, circulation problems, etc... why risk it?

I would imagine the "downsides" would be similar to other living creatures who get too cold lower immune system, illness, circulation problems, etc... wy risk it?

If it isn't healthy, I won't risk it. I just wanted to know how others feel. Chinchillas, even though they are now domesticated, are from areas with temperatures much lower than 50. My mom panics at 65, I, however think that 50 would be perfect and that I should take advantage of having such a desired temperature without having to run up the bill! LOL :D

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. I was just wondering about low temperatures. Being a newbie I was keeping my chin room at 68-66 during the summer with the ac. Now it is below that without ac or heat on. It got down to 63 and I was worried. Now I know that this is ok.

Latest posts

Back