About to lose my chin :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deliamaj

love my chins!
So I took Tseng to the vet yesterday to have his teeth looked at. They looked different and he was suddenly not eating much so I thought maybe they hurt. As it turns out... his kidneys are failing. They gave me some medicine for reducing acid and such, and told me to stuff him with critical care, but its basically just about making him comfortable until he takes a turn for the worse, at which point they told me I should have him put to sleep to minimize his time in pain. I don't know how to make myself do that when it comes time. How do you take your little one to somewhere unfamiliar and scary and ask them to kill him? My dog had to be put to sleep a year or two ago and it was so hard.

I have another concern though and that's his cagemate Elena. They're a bonded pair. They are rescues so I have no idea how long they've been together but they are 11 so potentially a long time. What can I expect from her when he goes? I'm terrified she will pine and be lonely without him. What should I watch out for? And what if anything can I do for her?

Dani

I have the kidney supplement that I can send you (just let me know if you'd like to order it). It was formulated for herbivores, and it contains renal protective herbs/kidney tonics. The formula supports kidneys and helps slow down the deterioration of renal function. The supplement helps kidneys filter and eliminate waste, helps maintain clean and nourished blood, helps reduce any inflammation, etc.

I've gotten good feedback on the product. It also saved a rabbit (case of overdose of prescription meds).

I hope your chin feels better soon :))

Renal failure is a long drawn out death. I'm sorry you have to deal with it. Did you vet offer to do any sub-qq fluids to help the kidneys function better? Meds like famotidine and sucrlfate help the stomach and apitite while in kidney failure. Your female my do fine or she may mourn her cagemate. If she eats less or act differently, spend more time with her. Give her a week or 2 to adjust. She may do better if you get her a friend or a cuddle buddy. Each chin is different.

I'm so sorry to hear it; i wish i had the right words, but we're going though a similar spell ourselves with the chin we've had the longest. It's so hard...We had to put our cat to sleep several months ago as well, and i'm still a mess over it.

just know you're not alone in your difficulties, and we're hoping for the best...know that the life you've shared with them has been leaps and bounds better than he likely would have gotten elsewhere.

You will be in our prayers. And I know this sounds trite, but you will know when the time comes, even if it seems inconceivable right now.

Latest posts

Back