Abnormal Poos, A little concerned

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillybabe

I didn't feel this post should go into the emergency section as I'm fairly certain it isn't an emergency at least yet. It's been ages since I've posted... I'm a bad chinnie momma. My girls have been doing well for a while now. They are both over 700 grams. Recently however Trixie developed some loose stools. I noticed it immediately and knew it was only one chinchilla because it was spread evenly throughout the cage with regular poos mixed in. The poops are a very light brown and are a bit squishy.

For those who do not know my back story (and most may not as I haven't posted in forever) I have two standard grey females. They are sisters and are about a year and five months old. I have had them since they were just under 8 weeks old. Both have been happy, healthy and steadily gaining weight since I got them. However, they've tapered off a bit in weight which I assume is normal at this age.

On Friday night I had my nephews stay the night. They are five months, two years, and five years old. They were here overnight and until about 6 pm Saturday evening. They are well, boys. So you can imagine this was a bit of an environmental change for the girls. I am hoping and praying the change in poos is due to this change. I noticed the odd looking poops Sunday and immediately cleaned up poos and separated the girls to figure out who was producing them.

I also weighed both girls. I fear my weights aren't extremely accurate as I had to put them on a scale in a cardboard box (with plenty of holes of course) in order to weigh them. When they were younger I could get them to sit on the scale for long enough to get a weight now they refuse to behave. Trixie is 708 grams and Pixie 750. There has always been a bit of a gap between the two girls with Pixie being a bit larger.

My concern is a think there has been a bit of weight loss in both girls. They look a little smaller/less fluffy. However, I wonder if some of that could be due to the increased humidity in summer. I was also led to believe chinchillas go through a bad hair time period? I see more shedding and weird loose fur than I did when they were younger. I have gotten them into the vet for tomorrow but I am already seeing normal poops from Trixie mixed in with the abnormal ones. Could the change just be stress? Trixie has always been a bit more high strung than Pixie. I believe they are both eating and drinking normally. I have had them separated since yesterday afternoon so I can keep an eye on Trixie. If the vet check comes back good should I wait to put them back together? Anything I should be concerned about with that? They've been together since the day they were born.

I believe stress can cause an unbalance although I am no expert. My girls tend to drop a little weight as the weather gets warmer and then pick it back up in cooler weather. You seem to be doing everything you can and I hope the vet visit goes well.

I'd put them back together. If they are separated too long it may be more challenging putting them back.

Stress can definately cause loose stools. Stop the treats and push the loose Timothy hay.

Stress can cause loose stools but it could also be parasites. I would keep them together, remove all treats and pellets, and push just hay. If they continue to loose weight and or the soft stools don't clear up Iwould get a fecal done. Soft stools from stress should clear up on a just hay diet. Parasites will require medications and possibly a vet visit.

Thanks for the advice. I will put them back together tonight. I heard the idea once and so I marked Trixie's ear with a green sharpie so I can tell her and Pixie apart at the vet. They do not get any treats normally. I heard to wait until they were a year to do treats and never transitioned to them when they had their birthday. They get Oxbow pellets and Timothy hay. I'd thought about taking them to the vet for a wellness exam anyway so I'm just going to go ahead with the appointment. This way at least the vet will have data on them if I have a real emergency. Trixie's poops seem closer to normal now though. Perhaps a little smaller/less frequent.

It's also possible that one of your nephews secretly gave Trixie a "treat" while they were visiting. Trixie may have eaten something that caused soft poo. Since she seems to be getting better this is another possibility.

I agree with Cathy, wonder if the chin got slipped a treat(s) by the kids. Does/did the poo have a bad smell? Any bubbles in the poo?

Well, just wanted to do an update. Took both girls to the vet. The vet said everything looks good. Trixie was 698 grams and Pixie was 720. Seemed a little low to me but she says that's well within healthy ranges. By time we got to the vet Trixie was producing normal if somewhat small poops. Vet says she isn't sure what could have caused the weird poops possibly something upset her gut flora temporarily. She advised that I measure pellets (only offer 2 tablespoons per day) and increase hay offered. Not sure if that's good advice or not? She said that chins could survive on only Timothy hay alone... I just always thought they needed the pellets as well. They do eat plenty of hay. At any rate I am happy everything checked out fine. She said heart was normal, everything seemed normal, teeth looked good. She said I could do a dental xray but didn't feel it was necessary. I am just relieved at this point. For those who remember my past I had a chinchilla with malo before the girls and it's made me very paranoid. Probably went to the vet a little sooner than I needed to but at least they'll now have a good baseline if anything goes wrong. It was funny to see how different they were from Raisin at the vet too. He was always so cooperative... they didn't want to hold still.

Incase anyone was curious I just wanted to throw out an update on the girls. Both girls are doing great now. Hopping about, normal poops, eating and drinking. I'm happy everything seems fine. I was scared. I've kept the pellets free feed but I have been more diligent in making sure they always have access to plenty of hay as well. I'll be ordering them some new toys and things soon.

Latest posts

Back