A surprise!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bundalo

Sunday we were shocked to discover a brand new kit (1-2 days old) in the cage of one of our adopted chins. Shocked, I say, because we were told she was spayed (as a rescue), and that the only other chin to which she'd had exposure was for a brief visit 4 months ago, and they told us she was a girl. Yeah, well, surprise on both counts. :)

That resulted in little Sorpresa becoming a part of our chin family. We took mother and kit to the vet yesterday, and mother weighed in at 670gm, while kit was at 42gm. We're picking up a scale today, and I've read a -whole- lot on the FAQ and other forum posts, but while I've seen that ~2gm/day is the desired weight gain, the vet said 42gm is a little small. Both got the seal of approval from the vet, though, but I still had some questions. This is, as far as we know, the first kit she's ever had, since until recently she's been solitary. I haven't found a decent indication of what starting weight range should be for a ~2-3 day old kit. Also, though the kit is getting pretty active already (just started hopping about the cage, made it OUT of the cage last night, found it on the second level of the cage this morning), I want to be sure it's getting all the nutrition it needs to grow. :) (We're pretty sure it's a he, but he wouldn't stay still enough for the vet, who didn't want to stress him further.)

In addition to the scale, I'm also going in search of the makings of formula listed in the "caring for your kits" post, but was wondering...is "baby rice cereal" essentially akin to rice krispies (only with less sugar and other mystery ingredients)?

42 grams isn't a horrible weight. But, do keep an eye on her weight and it should be gaining 1-2 grams a day at least. Weigh at the same time every day for consistency.

You need to have mom and kit in a kit-safe cage. Wire spacing no further than 1/2" x 1/2".

No, baby rice cereal is nothing like rice krispies. You'll find baby rice cereal in the infant department.

you also need to take all the shelves out of the cage. don't want momma going up on a shelf and ignoring her kit (momma has to keep them warm and fed), or jumping down from a shelf and hurting the kit!

First - 42g is a fine weight - normally single litters are a little bigger - in the 50ish range but 42 is fine. You need to weigh everyday to make sure she's gaining weight (indicates she/he is nursing and milk is in).

Vet visit was probably unnecessary - most of the time you dont want to take them in unless there is cause for alarm (ie bleeding, signs of infection, etc.) because they can become stressed from the trip.

Kits are active within hours. That's why we stress a completely babysafe cage - that means no bar spacing bigger than 1/2"x1/2" or 1"x1/2" - they will escape and climb out of anything that is not completely spaced properly. You need to confine mom and kit to a one level cage - mom needs to stay down with the kit to feed it and keep it warm. You are also inviting potential injury to the kit with shelves.

There are sexing pictures at the top of this thread to help you or you can post pics and we can tell you.

At this point do not handfeed unless you notice a consistent loss in weight in the kit - that would indicate mom's milk didn't come in. Mom's milk is best.

You do not need to give the kit any formula/handfeed unless there is a reason to. You only handfeed if mom has no milk, kits are sick/fighting with sibilings, or if mom dies.

And no, baby rice cereal is not the same as rice krispies. Don't give them rice krispies. Baby rice cereal is available in the babyfood section of the store.

Ditto to above but also a baby safe cage should not be taller than 18". Kits will start climbing the bars at a couple days old, and with all the shelves out of there a 2-4ft drop could be deadly.

you also need to take all the shelves out of the cage. don't want momma going up on a shelf and ignoring her kit (momma has to keep them warm and fed), or jumping down from a shelf and hurting the kit!

http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27489

I did leave in a very low shelf with the kits that were born at the rescue, just as Peggy mentioned in that thread I posted. Like Mish said, they climb! Even though the cage I have the kits and mom is only 18" high I was having heart failure when the kits did climb. With a very low shelf they seemed content to go to the shelf and stopping giving me a scare.

We've wrapped the cage in a contiguous wire mesh that's smaller than 1/2"x1/2", but didn't even think of the shelf height. The ramps will be coming out right away! Thanks!

No worries on feeding rice krispies, I wasn't going to be going that route, just wanted a basis of comparison...as I've craftily avoided ever having to enter the baby supplies aisle of any store. :)

Thanks for the info, everyone!

Make sure there is no way the kit can climb the walls and get out of the top of the cage. They will do that too. Little stinkers.
Don't forget some soft hay. About two weeks they will start to nibble with mom. Good luck with the little one.

We're dealing with a bit of likely bad news for one of our recently adopted chins, but as an update, mommy and baby chin are doing alright. The baby isn't gaining wait as fast as I've seen some recommendations, but he is definitely growing. He's also incredibly active and has started running about the place. Even though he's still a little small, I take that as a good sign. Also, absolutely adorable, and has fallen asleep on one of us a few times now. Mommy chin's been quite the attentive mother, as well, though she seems to be thrilled when we let her out for play time.

Latest posts

Back